News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A good experience!

Started by Jbone, May 31, 2011, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbone

I dislike Orvis but have two Battenkill BBS II reels that I love. Yesterday I purchased my first bamboo rod, a 7' 4weight. The local fly shop suggested I use a doouble taper line so I had them to put one on one of my two reels. This morning I attempted to put my other BBS reel on it to cast the rod with a weight forward line. I couldn't get it mounted due to the reel foot having a slight bend at the end of it resulting in the ring not going up onto the taper. I found that I could flip the reel around and mount it for a right hand retrieve. Anyway, called Orvis and they are sending me another foot free of charge!

Woolly Bugger

Orvis is good people, I have never understood the hate
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 31, 2011, 10:40:40 AM

x2..I have had nothing but good experiences..Let the haters have they're Lamsons totally over hauled again and again(and still get stuck together..)..I will stick with Orvis..I need reels that stand up to abuse..

Phil

x3 -- I've never had anything but good service from Orvis over the past 35+ years. I presently have two Orvis rods and three of their reels. No complaints here.

overbrook

I think most of the "hate" has to do with the snobbery in some stores and like the store in the Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area 95% clothes 5% fishing shit......its more like LL Beane

the Augusta store has a nice supply of FF & tying stuff....one of the better orvis stores I've been in.

snagaluffaguss

I walked into an Orvis store (it was the only "fly fishing" store around) on the coast.  I wanted heavy flourocarbon and wire bite tippet.  I might as well have been speaking chinese to the dude on the floor and had a dick growing out my forehead.  I found the stuff myself. The chick at the counter had some big nice tits though. 

Orvis "approves" or "certifies" or "endorses" (or what the fuck ever they do)  lodges, guides, and shops...a bit narcisistic if you ask me. 
FUCK YOU ORVIS I dont need your approval.  I like me for who I am.

Every total dumb ass who walks into the shop and trys to "talk shop" and waste my time and buys nothing is wearing something Orvis and asks me 100 dumb questions about Orvis shit.

They have also fished "out west" and try  to convince me that I should really go one day when I grow up and become a real fly fisherman. 

Note: That does not mean that everyone who has Orvis shit is a dumbass, just that all dumb asses have alot of Orvis shit because they are fuckin UNORIGINAL and borring.

People bring me Orvis reels and rods to repair and "maintain" on a regular basis and are appalled when I wont work on them or return them to Orvis for them.

The Clearwater is the WORST rod ever made hands down

Orvis has some good stuff but it costs the same as a small company's high end stuff.  And their low end stuff is total shit.

Orvis does not specialize in anything... when I buy a reel I buy it from a reel company...when I buy a rod I buy it from a rod company...when I buy a dog bed...fuck the dog bed it's a dog he can sleep on the ground or curl up on my dirty clothes that I left laying on the floor.

Orvis is for old stodgy fuckers and I am way to young, hip, cool, and awesome for Orvis.  Im a new breed of pretentious fly fisherman.  I ride my skate board to the stream, over induldge in drugs and alchohol, wade the flats in a pair of Chuck Taylors, wear earbuds and have an awesome sound track on my IPOD called fishing music that is  mostly 80's metal and punk rock.  I take lots of pictures of how awesome I and my awesome buddies are, I post them online with some kick ass music (and when required titty pics of girls I didnt and will never fuck and who's daddy didnt love them enough, stolen from websites that will probably give my and your computer a virus), and wait for everyone to tell me again...JUST HOW FUCKING AWESOME I AM.

WhORVIS sucks.

No offense Woolly Im just funnin around.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on May 31, 2011, 22:53:12 PM

I walked into an Orvis store (it was the only "fly fishing" store around) on the coast.  I wanted heavy flourocarbon and wire bite tippet.  I might as well have been speaking chinese to the dude on the floor and had a dick growing out my forehead.  I found the stuff myself. The chick at the counter had some big nice tits though. 

Orvis "approves" or "certifies" or "endorses" (or what the fuck ever they do)  lodges, guides, and shops...a bit narcisistic if you ask me. 

Every total dumb ass who walks into the shop and trys to "talk shop" and waste my time and buys nothing is wearing something Orvis and asks me 100 dumb questions about Orvis shit.

They have also fished "out west" and try  to convince me that I should really go one day when I grow up and become a real fly fisherman. 

Note: That does not mean that everyone who has Orvis shit is a dumbass, just that all dumb asses have alot of Orvis shit because they are fuckin UNORIGINAL and borring.

People bring me Orvis reels and rods to repair and "maintain" on a regular basis and are appalled when I wont work on them or return them to Orvis for them.

Orvis has some good stuff but it costs the same as a small company's high end stuff.  And their low end stuff is total shit.

Orvis does not specialize in anything... when I buy a reel I buy it from a reel company...when I buy a rod I buy it from a rod company...when I buy a dog bed...fuck the dog bed it's a dog he can sleep on the ground or curl up on my dirty clothes that I left laying on the floor.

Orvis is for old stodgy fuckers and I am way to young, hip, cool, and awesome for Orvis.  Im a new breed of pretentious fly fisherman.  I ride my skate board to the stream, over induldge in drugs and alchohol, wade the flats in a pair of Chuck Taylors, wear earbuds and have an awesome sound track on my IPOD called fishing music that is  mostly 80's metal and punk rock.  I take lots of pictures of how awesome I and my awesome buddies are, I post them online with some kick ass music (and when required titty pics of girls I didnt and will never fuck and who's daddy didnt love them enough, stolen from websites that will probably give my and your computer a virus), and wait for everyone to tell me again...JUST HOW FUCKING AWESOME I AM.

WhORVIS sucks.

Have you ever slept on an Orvis dog bed? I didn't think so, you wouldn't be trash talkin if you had! They put Serta to shame!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on May 31, 2011, 22:53:12 PM

WhORVIS sucks.

Hahaha..Maybe I touched a nerve with the Lamson remark..I am glad to find out that not everyone who owns they're shit is a dumbass because it would suck to learn that about ones self this early in the morning..

diaz dassie

Jeepers Snag, what crawled up your arse and died mate? In the words of Die Antwoord:
Jy praat te veel kak meneer :laugh:

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: blue ridge angler on June 01, 2011, 07:53:24 AM

Hahaha..Maybe I touched a nerve with the Lamson remark.

I'm a Galvan man...you know my mixed feelings about LamPson. :D

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 01, 2011, 07:06:26 AM

Have you ever slept on an Orvis dog bed? I didn't think so, you wouldn't be trash talkin if you had! They put Serta to shame!

Ok,

Well maybe they do make some quality shit :D

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Transylwader on June 01, 2011, 08:22:27 AM
Jeepers Snag, what crawled up your arse and died mate?

Nuthin...I just love the Whorvis/Orvis debate/debacle that happen on FFing Forums every 3 to 6 months so I try to exacerbate them when ever I get the chance.  >:D :D

lostnwilderness

:laugh:
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

blue ridge angler

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on June 01, 2011, 09:29:08 AM
Quote from: Transylwader on June 01, 2011, 08:22:27 AM
Jeepers Snag, what crawled up your arse and died mate?

Nuthin...I just love the Whorvis/Orvis debate/debacle that happen on FFing Forums every 3 to 6 months so I try to exacerbate them when ever I get the chance.  >:D :D

Thats my dawg..I can't wait for the day that snag comes to a get together and I get to hear a late night alchohol fueled debate between him and TX about TFO vs Scott..
My guess is it will rival the legendary rugby conversation that I missed out on.. :laugh:

possessed

I like their fluorocarbon tippet and leaders.