News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson Wed. & Thurs.

Started by 5xTippett, May 20, 2011, 14:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I headed up to Brevard Wednesday morning.  I check into my motel and headed to the river.  I ended up downstream of the hatchery around 4 or 5.  I found a few spots full of sulphers and caught about a dozen or so in a couple of hours.  Whenever the bugs would pop off I would catch fish.  When the bugs quit so did the fish.  I walked back to the parking lot and took my waders off and wandered over to TM's truck and met Peter P and TP for the first time.  Sat and visited with those boys until dark.  Went back into town got something to eat and hit the rack.  Got up the next morning, stopped by the fly shop to pick up something and hit the river around 11 or so.  Fished downstream with beetles for an hour and caught 5 one of which was nipping at 20 inches.  I then went upstream and fished for awhile.  I caught a few more on beetles and decided to switch gears.  On my 3rd cast I caught a 20 inch brown.  Two casts later I had one about the same size hit it.  I decided to let that spot rest for awhile and headed to the hatchery.  I found an unoccupied spot and proceeded to catch a grown rainbow that was built like a tank.  He was slightly under 20 inches which surprised me.  The way he fought I was expecting something bigger.   I unhooked that sucker, took his picture and released him.  About 5 casts later I saw something approximately the size of a small hog rolling under a log.  I cast a few times and finally got it where I wanted it.  I saw a mouth open and set the hook.   When I finally got it in, it was approximately 23 inches.  I really don't think I could catch anything much bigger on my 5 wt. without killing it.  I walked back up to the parking lot, found TM, and walked upstream and caught one more fish.  I stopped on the way back to the car and showed TM the picture of the big boy and headed home.  5 hours later I was home.  It was my eighth trip to that river.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

benben reincarnated

Damn son, those are definitely some porkers.  Nice work.     'c;

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

peter p

Nice.  Looks like I should have called in sick yesterday.  I am off to see TM shortly.   Hope you guys have left me some fish without sore lips.   
Peter

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Al

Good show Ben!  I didn't know you fished anyplace but the Smith :o

Woolly Bugger

looks like the vulcan death grip   :o
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

"looks like the vulcan death grip"  Nope.  If I was going to do that I would have grabbed him by the throat! :)    I try to get their picture as quick as I can and get them back in the water.  That is probably why my pictures don't look that swift.  That coupled with the fact I am a long way from being a good photographer.   I need to take lessons from you.

diaz dassie

Ben, keep fishin the D, you'll eventually kill every single one of them shitters 'c; Lovin tha death grip 8)

blue ridge angler

Good stuff..
I love some big D fish..