Memorial Day trip cancelled; looking for alternate ideas.

Started by troutfanatic, May 16, 2011, 22:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Every year I spend Memorial Day out near Bryson City in the GSMNP. we rent a place for a few days then go to the park and do a few in the tent. I hit some of the bluelines in the park and some of the nearby DH and SS waters. BUT, due to my impending Afghanistan trip I have another obligation the following Tuesday Morning. That being said, I only have 3 days and a trip from Fayetteville to Bryson would be stupid.

Looking for an alternate plan, maybe even something new that I have not done yet. Before I go any further, I ain't doing the noob thing. I don't want to know your secret bluelines or any of that jackassery. No need to post a link to the Delhorme books >:D.

I am looking for a place to do some tent camping (preferably a state park) that isn't booked full. Sat-Mon Trout waters nearby, need facilities (my kids are going; at 4 and 6 y/o, they need showers and I am sure my wife would like em too)
I am looking to stay under 5 hours drive from Fayetteville. I am contemplating the Davidson River but I have concerns about criminal activity around the campground. Yeah, I carry but still...
with about 100 days until I leave for Afghanistan, I am trying to get as much time in as possible and my kids love camping. I guess my wife does too.

Your ideas and insight are appreciated.

cheers

Brian

lostnwilderness

My in laws are going to be here that weekend but if you have any desire to fish the Asheville/Brevard region I'll hook you up with all I know.  Since you are in fayettenam and getting ready to ship out seems like a drop in the bucket for the price we all owe you.  Davidson should be fine all the pecker weeds are from Florida.  Good fishing across the board.  PM me cause I aint posting it online....

Cheers mate and God bless you.
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

mecnc

If you're thinking the Davidson and don't mind driving about 25 more miles west there's a pretty little campground called Riverbend. It's a small place with about 25 RV sites, tent sites, a gazebo with a fire place and rocking chairs and a pretty little creek running thru the middle of it.

It's easy to find, just head west on 64 out of Brevard to 281 head north about 11/2 miles it's on the right.

There's fishing in P-town valley,Gorges state park is close and has some wild streams. There's plenty of DH water close by if that intrests you. I can get the phone number for the campground if your interested, let me know.

Shane

You might consider Philpott Reservoir, near Bassett, VA. I think it's about three hours from Fayetteville. close to the smith river. good camping, secure, facilities. beautiful undeveloped lake.

S

lostnwilderness

She is my side kick, half Siberian half lab.  dad calls her Lucifer... :D

Just let me know.  I have never had issues with crime around there or heard of it but then again my truck and most of my buddies, "that's a truck where a gun lives" comes to mind so maybe we are not appealing targets.  If you don't have to have a bath house or formal campground there are lots of other places to camp as well.  And of course, around Davidson you have every type of water from blue lining speck's to hatchery supported pig pellets.  Good luck!  Let me know!
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

dossphoto

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 17, 2011, 15:55:18 PM
Shane,

I considered the Smith. Problem is I don't know if there is any camping areas with vacancy. I live out of a tent and minivan not an RV. Must have facilities for the wife an children. I was just going to go to Stone Mountain but it is booked full.

Try Fairystone State Park.  They will have some room for last minute campers sometimes. 

Shane

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 17, 2011, 15:55:18 PM
Shane,

I considered the Smith. Problem is I don't know if there is any camping areas with vacancy. I live out of a tent and minivan not an RV. Must have facilities for the wife an children. I was just going to go to Stone Mountain but it is booked full.

Salthouse Branch campground will probably have plenty of tent campsites available. It's nice. Facilities and all.

Leedawg

Sorry I don't have one for you on this man. Most of my little slip off places are no facilities or very limited at best. Good luck on the family services. I do know there are some places up around Damascus Va with access to the Creeper trail that might work, but I bet they are a mess Memorial Day weekend and the VA liscence fees are stout for that area. Fishing, trout, national forest stamps all required. Good Luck!