News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tilley hats and a River runs through it....

Started by lostnwilderness, May 15, 2011, 21:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

I wouldn't know a tilley hat if it bit me. some people got money and don't care much between a 20 dollar bill and a hundred. That's OK. I got some nice gear but I ruin it pretty good.

I liked the movie.

As long as we're picking on Fly Fishing Factions, my favorites are the Delta Force.

lostnwilderness

Shane, Delta Force???

The conversation this weekend was new to me, still made me laugh my ass off though.  Had to post it on here to see the static.  Thanks for the input.  Best 2 comments so far,

"shut up and fish"  'c;

"I got some nice gear but I ruin it pretty good"  'c;

"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

Shane

Quote from: lostnwilderness on May 16, 2011, 20:45:37 PM
Shane, Delta Force???

The conversation this weekend was new to me, still made me laugh my ass off though.  Had to post it on here to see the static.  Thanks for the input.  Best 2 comments so far,

"shut up and fish"  'c;

"I got some nice gear but I ruin it pretty good"  'c;

You know those guys. They're not affected, really, by some aesthetic. They have really, really good gear.  It's all new, worn on utility belts.  Their fly boxes are perfect. They walk with purpose, not smiling. They trailer the driftboat like seals who have trained for this assault for months. They are damn good at catching fish.

Delta Force

Peddler

I don't know who's worst, fly fishers who can't fish yet have all the right gear or fly fishers who can't fish yet take great pains in how they dress 'cuz they worry far too much how their look compares to others, though I have to admit, it did bother me when a friend said my 'brand name' wading pants made my butt look big. Even the AquaSealed patches all over them couldn't outweigh the shame.

Most people work up to better gear, I'm working down to the best gear 'for the money'. God Bless this economy or else I might never get the chance to hang low-brow and grungy with the cool people.

'Scuse me... I just got an email that WalMart has some fine waders on sale for $12.00. Think they'll make my ass look big?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

croaker

The movie was okay.  The little book was better.
$77.00 fer a hat...  :laugh: 
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Leedawg

Hence the reason I no longer guide people. "That" crowd made me want to shoot people! At that point, "Life is too short to fish with assholes" went into effect.
Short payback is sweet story. My ex-wife and I camped on a stocker stream after 3 days out backpacking. I was grungy to say the least. Walked down to the stream in flops and shorts. Ink showing! Sat on the bank and watched 2 of the Tilley hat gents fish over a pool with at least 100 fish in it and go fishless. Meanwhile getting nasty looks and comments from them. They eased out the back of the hole after maybe 30 minutes. Before they could get out I dropped the bomb nymphing rig in the hole and proceeded to get one second drift. I was hungry as well as the ex, so you know where that went. SMACK! Dead fish flopping. That really got their attention. 10 or 12 casts.....7 dead fish. They wanted to talk then.
I had fish to cook. Later assholes. 
Sorry to you purists, but every once in a blue moon, fish must die. I pay a shit load of money to release way too many fish. Most live to see another day, but the Tilley crowd made my blood lust boil

lostnwilderness

You know those guys. They're not affected, really, by some aesthetic. They have really, really good gear.  It's all new, worn on utility belts.  Their fly boxes are perfect. They walk with purpose, not smiling. They trailer the driftboat like seals who have trained for this assault for months. They are damn good at catching fish.

Delta Force

FLMAO!!!!!  AWESOME bd;0
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

flatlander

You know what I find equally amusing...the Geirach crowd that goes out of its way to not look like a yuppie.  You know the type...jeans, hip boots, bamboo--the "I was fishing long before "the movie" crowd.  I think some of those guys put more thought into what they look like than the newer anglers sporting the latest gear do.

5xTippett

"Sorry to you purists, but every once in a blue moon, fish must die."  Quote by Lee Dawg. Agreed!  My main problem with those boys is they think this is a game like golf or tennis, which is what they were doing until they heard this was realy cool.  I honestly think they believe every fish that they catch and release goes home to the wife and kids.  I hate to hurt their feelings but on average 5% of what we catch dies and there is nothing we can do about it.  I keep one every now and then just to remind myself this is not a game but a blood sport.

troutrus

Sounds like wealth envy has reared it's ugly head. Then again you guys badmouth those with cheap gear as well, so it seems more likely ya just hate them because they're not you.  :o

blue ridge angler

When I fish there are only two groups of people on the water..My group, and the assholes..Gear, skill level, age, style of dress, etc, play no real part in it..

Friar Tuck

I would encourage everyone to wear a wide-brimmed hat. Skin cancer is nasty shit.

I went to the local military surplus and grabbed a khaki booney for $10.

Fish hard!

Stuart R.

Quote from: Friar Tuck on May 21, 2011, 09:19:41 AM
I would encourage everyone to wear a wide-brimmed hat. Skin cancer is nasty shit.

Fish hard!

That is true something useful did come of this! I need to get one myself.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

flatlander

Fish hard!

I totally agree.  I had a dime-sized chunk removed from my nose last year.  Don't mess around.  Use the sunscreen, get a wide brimmed hat, wear a buff...or stick to those little streams shrouded in the tree canopy.

Al

Quote from: Flatlander on May 22, 2011, 07:31:02 AM

Fish hard!

I totally agree.  I had a dime-sized chunk removed from my nose last year.  Don't mess around.  Use the sunscreen, get a wide brimmed hat, wear a buff...or stick to those little streams shrouded in the tree canopy.

I wore a beret for over three decades. Cool at the time but in hindsight a dumb hat choice by the the military. Lots of guy with wrinkles and skin cancer way before their time.

I did read a month ago that the Army Uniform Board has decided that all regular units, ie not SF, Airborne or Ranger convert to wide brim calvary style hats next year. That move will not protect the elite units from skin cancer - maybe they figure they are too tough to get it - NO TRUE. I have dents in my nose, ears and neck as testimony to the fallacy of that line of thinking.