Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day @ NCWRC Pechmann Ctr 5-11-11

Started by Al, May 12, 2011, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

We had a modest turn out  of 20-25 at our monthly Wounded Warrior & Military Appreciation Day at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located just west of Fayetteville NC. These events occur on the second Wednesday of each month which was May 11, 2011. The NCWRC provides the venue and volunteers, most of whom are retired military veterans, provide the instruction. The NCWRC also provides all the equipment necessary to participate, however participants are welcome to bring and use their own gear. A fishing license is not required for these events.

Many of our Wounded Warriors who suffer Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) have trouble concentrating and following detailed instructions. Physicians and therapists from Womack Army Medical Center have told us that hobbies such as fly tying are ideal ways to challenge patient's thought process. Two of America's finest came today accompanied by their speech and physical therapists. Helping these soldiers on their long road to recovery is what makes us continue to hold these events.

Many folks come just for the fishing - which is fine by us. We specialize in fly fishing but welcome those who just want to use a spin casting outfit to catch catfish with bait. We restrict the bait fishing to the catfish ponds because they tolerate rougher handling then our other species. We do have a few bass and lots of sunfish available for those who want to try their hand at fly fishing. Our catfish also readily take a fly if presented right.

Ya got to kiss the first fish for good luck. This lady soldier put the guys to shame in numbers of fish caught. Must have been that first kiss

Our ponds are stroller friendly and we encourage mom & pop to bring the kids. If they are still in school we don't mind if you show up a little late after they get home - These events run from 1:00 - 5:00 pm so a couple hours of catching fish might be just what the kids need to unwind.  2nd Wednesday makes for some good family time.

One of our TBI participants tries out his newly tied fly.

Not to be outdone the other TBI soldier catches one twice as big. This one rates a photo with his speech therapist.

The "fish smoocher" tried her hand with a fly rod and found it offers much more fun - even the little fish put a big bend in the rod.

The guys held up their end pretty well. Lots of smiles and good natured ribbing today. For many these events are a welcome change of pace from their daily rounds of medical appointments, counseling and thinking about an uncertain future.

Our thanks to this striking young lady, who in real life is a Company Commander in the United States Army. She brought several members of her unit to our event today. We hope you and your unit come again. We also hope others will help us spread the word for this wonderful opportunity which is just 4 miles down the road from the Reilly Road Checkpoint.

And so ends another great Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day at the Pechmann Center. Our next Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day will be  Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 1:00-5:00 pm. If you're not into fly fishing we have spin cast outfits and bait for use on the catfish ponds. A NC fishing license is not required for these events.

We have also scheduled a Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic for June 11th from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm where local experts will teach the basics of fly fishing for warm water species. If you would like to sign up for the Warm Water Clinic, registration is through Lake Rim Park (424-6134). The cost is $5. Pre-registration is required. These clinics fill very fast so pass this information along to all of your friends.

The NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center is located at 7489 Raeford Rd, Fayetteville, NC 28304. It was an old fish hatchery which has since been converted to an education center. It is right across from Lake Rim on what is now known as old Raeford Rd on the west side of Fayetteville. Here is a Map Quest link http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Fayetteville&state=NC&address=7489+Raeford+Rd&zipcode=28304

Woolly Bugger

good stuff Al, glad you were able to take the time off to help out there! Hope all is going well with your tornado repairs.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Z-Man

'tis good work you're doing, Al.  Congrats to all.  If I were still in Fayetteville, I would help you out in this worthy effort.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

Leedawg

Great work Al  ;D. THANK YOU!  'c; I know for a fact that fly tying helps keep those fine motor skills tuned in for someone with MS. Have a good friend (veteran F-4 pilot from Vietnam) and that is exactly why he still ties a lot of bugs.  Hope it helps the TBI guys as well.