Tested out some new water

Started by possessed, April 25, 2011, 18:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possessed

I headed for the hills today to fish some new to me streams.  I arrived at the stream and began fishing immediately.  I fished for about 10 minutes and the thunder started, then the black clouds came rolling over the ridge, the wind kicked up and I figured it best I get back to the truck.

As I made it back to the truck, the skies were blue and the wind was calm.  The storm had moved on over the mountain.  I started back fishing and about 20 minutes later, the same thing happened.

I resumed fishing for a while, but the catching was slow.  I had picked up a few rainbows in between the false storm alerts, but it was really slow.  The stream was really pretty even if the fish were taunting me.  The fish were small and/or camera shy, so no fish pics for this stream.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I decided to  call it quits for that section and drive up the mountain to fish the headwaters, hoping to catch the elusive wild brook trout.  As I headed up the mountain, the weather got really nasty.  I could see clear skies to the east, so I decided to head over the ridge and fish another stream, hoping for better weather.

It got a tad foggy the higher I got.

I arrived at the new stream, about 2000 feet lower elevation.  The weather was perfect, but the wet roads were a sure sign it had already rained there.  I found the stream to be slightly up, yet very fishable.  The water was pretty stained, so I tied on a green weenie, I figured the trout could easily see it in the murky water.

I was quickly into some fish.  I caught quite a few, all on the weenie.  I did have a few rises and strikes on the dry.  The best fish of the day refused to have his picture taken. 

It was a good day, even though the catching was not great.  I wore my waders today, thinking the water would be colder than it was.  I almost roasted in those things, wet wading season is now here, at least until November. 

diaz dassie

I gave Zeus a heads-up that some folks from central NC were gonna stick the wild trouts before I descend on it this coming weekend. He's keeping it untainted for me, so back the fuck up! :o
At least you weren't galavanting round Transylwader Country, otherwise one of them bolts might have connected with your lightning conductor! :-*

benben reincarnated

Nice trip.

I too was in the clouds for a bit this morning but the deck starting rising late morning.  Luckily I didn't have to dodge any showers and had off and on sunshine most of the day.

I decided to wet wade, bit chilly to start out but was glad I decided to.  Funny that when I went to my second spot today every guy I drove past and saw fishing the lower and middle Davidson had waders on and I know that water couldn't have been THAT cold.  Hell I didn't even see a guy in short sleeves. 

Woolly Bugger

good looking water there! sometimes you just have to ignore that thunder ;)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

Good lookin' streams.
I do believe I'd have to give the first one another try or two  ;)
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.