Just thought I'd rub it in a little deeper Kylie.

Started by Txfly, March 12, 2011, 22:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txfly

Hey All!
It's been quite a while since I've been around, Frankly I didn't get much fishing in last year although I did land a few.
I've vowed to change that this year.
I've made it on the water in the last month probably more than all of last year combined.
I've already had several follows and have landed three, a 31", 36" and a 38" this year.
I know some of you have seen these on the other board I frequent, so you can ignore.
I caught the 31 and 36 on the same day and had a total of ten follows...it was epic-ally frustrating until I got the first eat.
Enjoy.
...or don't.

(They're in pairs of smallest to largest)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

[attachimg=6]

Beetle

diaz dassie

fresh water snoek  :o Fuck them slender swines are beast masters  :D Good shit breh 'c;

blue ridge angler

Good to see you over here slummin' it up in the low rent district.. 0:0

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

damn nice fish, on my list decade to catch one in this decade, starting this spring
bd;0
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

kylemc

Txfly

Thanks guys, (esp Kylie ;))

I think the MOST important component in this game is Advil. A couple the night before to marinate the muscles, a couple in the morning w/ a coldy to wash it down, and a handful when you get off the water cause you had to listen to Kyle bitch all day.

It's funny as I look back on my Drake thread that was started almost three years ago (as a log and a place for fellow esox guys to collaborate) ...and what little I have to show since for it, but also how much I've achieved. I've been tempted to break out hardware on them, but something just keeps me from doing it...I guess it falls under the category that if was easy, everybody would do it...but in this case "less difficult" would be the term.
I don't feel that by any means I have these fish "dialed in" as some may think. In the last three years I've had the opportunity to sight cast to well over two hundred of these fish...getting the middle finger by almost every one of them. These are in spots that I have scouted on my own (sorry, no "born and raised" here, had to learn it). I spend the time...sometimes it pays off, most it doesn't (Insert:"wife checks camera for stripper photos when I get skunked, which is mostly")
They are probably the most challenging freshwater fish to hook and land, and I think that's what keeps me after them. I don't like EASY (unless it has to do w/ getting my boat loaded up after ten hours on the water).

But in all honesty to those of you that haven't, but are dying to do it...it's not that impressive. It falls under "the thrill of the hunt". The follow is cool, the eat is VERY cool. The fight kinda blows, it's a lot like a catfish. The only one I've had go full air on me was that 42 a couple of years back, other than that it's mostly spinning and bulldogging...but yeah, it's still cool...if the hook, leader, fly line, or rod doesn't break...and if you get the fish back in the water w/o having to take stitches in your arm from the teeth (part of it may have to do w/ the fact that I cross their fucking eyeballs when I hit them, and they're still dazed when I land them).

Last year I managed a very lucky day that I had seven eats and landed three, one of the eats was a raging fish that continued to charge the boat after the eat, I did everything in my power to get line on this fish and when I was finally able to tighten up and plant the hook, she spun at the most in-opportune time...breaking the rod BUTT on a ten weight (Yeah, it was pretty much a monkey fucking a football). I guessed this fish at about 48", a gear buddy landed her a few weeks later and she taped out at 51"!...
This is what keeps me coming back. I know BB or "AA" as known by most, clobbers fish on his river, but it feels like a different game to me down here, our fish are fat and happy, and just plane don't give a shit about your feathers and fur.

I can have a (seasoned) gear  buddy w/ me and raise ten to one more fish than him...but can't seal the deal, where he can.
It's all about THAT challenge, not so much about the reward....Although the reward, when granted is well earned.

Anyway, all this blabber...Muskie on a fly is not for everybody. In my fly fishing career, I've been blessed w/ many, many fish at times, and (really) big fish at times, but muskie are one of those fish that get into your blood, they really make you work for them, and that's what I appreciate most...

BTW. I went trout fishing the other day w/ BRA.
I only caught one (not really).
[EDIT] He took this killer photo.

[attachimg=1]

Kyle...No for Wednesday, working.
Ryan, charge the batteries on the camera, I have a plan.
BRA, get that boat fixed.
To the rest of you scalawags, thanks for reading.

kylemc

It is not for everybody but it beats the fuck out of bobber watching. Do I bitch that Much?

Woolly Bugger

nice trouts TX, is that blood coming out of the gills?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2011, 09:41:11 AM

That is blood..She was hooked in the corner of the mouth but apparently the line had wrapped around her gill plate..Only a little blood and she swam off and was holding fairly close to where we were for a while with no signs of being seriously hurt..

Txfly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2011, 09:41:11 AM

Yeah, she started to barrel roll in the net and took a wrap. I didn't even notice it until I put her back in the water.

[attachimg=1]