Has anyone hit any of these places recently?

Started by troutfanatic, February 15, 2011, 19:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwgnc

If poachers used hook and line it wouldn't be devastating.  It's the bleach and nets that hurt the fish and more importantly their struggling food sources.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

cmiller51h

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 16, 2011, 21:14:02 PM
cmiller,

I'll be at KAF again :o. I haven't been doing Sapper work since 06 I am one those supposedly smart guys with dots on my chest. I miss the brotherhood of Engineers and I miss the action but I don't miss getting a vehicle blown out from under me. I got much respect for the RCP guys. It is the toughest job in theater. We flew a lot of missions ISO you guys and I was overhead on a few of them... sent a few people closer to allah.

Maybe they'll have the Pooh Pond moved to the NE side of the base before you get there! It was horrible when I left in Nov. 25,000 people on KAF now. That's where Justin's heading, somewhere in the K-har Province. I'll end up back there as well, just next year. I've been home since November and still haven't got my footlocker back yet! I had some good stuff in it. We need to hook up before you go. Let me know a week or so ahead of time and I'll take as many days as you want leave.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

bugman

I have to disagree with Phil that predators, particularly otters, cannot decimate a trout resource.  I have no evidence on wild trout waters, but some years back I witnessed otters doing a number on planted trout in a special regulation/fly angling-only stream in WV.  Otters unexpectedly showed on this water.  I am talking numerous otters; there were several on every reach of the stream, and very visible.  If observant, you could see them hauling captured trout in their jaws.  I know very little about otter behavior, and have no idea if they prefer nocturnal predation, but they were darned apparent during the day.

The local "word" was the otters were planted in the larger river downstream, and they moved up this tributary, which happened to be full of trout.  I have no evidence of this.  Their presence was not a big deal to me; they were entertaining to watch.  I think the otter population finally declined.     

diaz dassie

Blame the otter ^-^
Y'all are just pissy and won't admit that he's a better fisherman/hunter than all of us bd;0
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The sumbitches sure do know how to tear up the troots, they even do it in England b';

Al

TF I know you are looking at places close to where you live - if you were awake at the fly clinic you might have heard me say, "The closest trout fishing to Fayetteville is the Smith River in Bassett VA.  Stone Mtn is 180 miles from my driveway, South Mtn is a little over 200 miles. Both are marginal DH streams.  The Smith is 145 miles  and a year round fishery which is exactly the reason I bought a place up there.

Lots of fish, both stockers and stream spawned brown trout. Takes a little figuring out but it is 95% open access with most roads right along the river. Be glad to share info - several folks from Bragg fish up there.

phg

VA licenses are 12 months from date of purchase, so go ahead and get it.  Maybe we can get Al to throw a "volunteer appreciation" day for us at the Smith in the next few weeks.... ;D

diaz dassie

TF, here she is-Stone Mountain synopsis:
No bait chunkers seen from Traphill Rd to Bullhead Creek yesterday. :o
However, Watch this space! come the 1st week in March when the trucks roll in from T-County or Armstrong Hatchery to stock, the fuckers will be all over the East Prong. My suggestion? Smack up the Helton (gets a big ass stocking) and make sure you go during the week. AND get your VA license before those muppets jack it to over $86 coz I have a feeling you'll like some of the creeks I frequent in Southern Virginny 8)

Leedawg

Recon was run. Fish were caught. Beautiful day. Beautiful places. I call that a success for Feb.  'c;

Woolly Bugger

your day doesn't sound half bad to me  -0-

however the rewards of getting off the beaten path are great
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!