News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Feeder streams

Started by The Dude, February 27, 2011, 19:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

Hit up a trifecta of feeder streams that I've never fished before - one in SC and two in NC.  The fishing was so-so, but that is a win for this time of year as far as I am concerned.  I really thought the quill gordons would have started hatching by now, but nothing yet that I could tell.  Last year I noticed them starting by February 19th, and this February has been about 6 degrees warmer than last year - go figure.  Maybe it has to do with the number of moon cycles or something.  In any event, with air temperatures in the 60s and water temperatures near 50 degrees, I got to wet wade - halle-fucking-lujah.  So long waders, I'll see you again in December!

With windy weather in the forecast, and still no sign of mayfly hatches, I nymped today.  I tried a stonefly to no avail, and all fish came on small green caddis and olive and pheasant tail soft hackles.  I guess with the LOW, clear water conditions, the fish just weren't interested in anything larger than a sz 16.  Damn this low water.  I certainly spooked more fish than I caught.  On to the pictures.....

Big fish of the day, caught at the base of some small falls.  It looked like it may have recently completed some spawning activities and was showing some wear and tear.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

possessed

Nice looking wild rainbows, dace on the wiener, and what appears to be bear shit.  Looks like an awesome day.   -0-

Woolly Bugger

nice little trouts and dace too!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Quality TR, is that dydimo on the rock? Fuck that shit is awful

The Dude

I don't think it is didymo nor bear shit, but rather, embryonic tadpoles. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

OldDominionAngler

wet wading in February  :o.  Very nice, looks like a productive little stream. 

The Dude

You know, with wet wading socks and quick-drying pants, it was really quite pleasant and I really felt like I could have shed the waders a week or two ago.  Of course, it helps that I was fishing small water that required only minor wading.  I only got doodad deep one time, and the rest of the day I never really got any deeper than my knees.

Holmes

right on... a fun way to spend a couple hours fo-sho ;D

The Dude

Yeah, well, it beats standing in line at the Social Security Administration Office, I guess.  But I think you already knew that.

diaz dassie

Quote from: The Dude on February 28, 2011, 16:21:13 PM
Yeah, well, it beats standing in line at the Social Security Administration Office, I guess.  But I think you already knew that.
:laugh:
Yea Petey get off your  -p- ASS!

snagaluffaguss

Dude,

You are being very Un-Dude-like, Dude.

Holmes

ey dude, you related to dis crazy honkey :-X

The Dude

Those that know me would say that this is a most accurate portrayal.

diaz dassie

Well fuck me, that about knocked the wind right outta my sails! :P
I didn't know you was a GUIDO Bro!