News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

just another day -- TR

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 20, 2011, 20:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

With the weather being nice and all I thought I would try for a repeat of Friday.
But first I had to stop in at City Beverage for the weekly beer tasting.
Sweaty Betty, Blue Moon in the can, Kind Belgian Red Ale, and Brooklyn Monster Ale were the offerings of the day.
The Betty was okay, the moon in the can was alright, the Kind Belgian was spot on and the Brooklyn Barleywine was a bit heavy for an early afternoon tasting.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

As soon as I stepped out of the car I knew this day was going to be trouble! The wind was blowing hard and gusting enough to cause havoc with my casting. But the river was just down the trail. I loaded up the vest with some leftover refreshments and sally and I headed through the field to the water.

The bright sunlight and low water conditions were also going to be a problem. Yesterday, fishing on the falling water, the river was up 6 to 8 inches higher than now. I saw some splashy rises as I approached the water and tied on a BOW dry, but the wind caused my casting to be  poor and I promptly put the few risers down. The duns were getting blown all over the river as soon as they made an attempt to lift off. So the trout didn't have much time to grab them. Despite the few good long drifts that I had no trout rose to my fly.

Next I tried the same nymph combo, that I had used successfully yesterday a bwo with a mercury midge dropper. I had to time my cast to miss the worst of the wind and even then only manages to get close to my target 50% of the time. Just about every mend in the line caused even more problems as the wind would just pick up the whole line out of the water.

I fished on for a while before deciding that it was time to retrieve my stream cooled beverages. I sat on the bank with sally and watch the BOW's sailing past, mostly ignored by the fish, but occasionally one would make a splashy rise and nab one off the surface. Canada geese were gathering in the pool down below and I saw a deer swim across the river a little further downstream.

Cheers to the last of the Oktoberfest! Yep, checked the date, still good!  -0-

Sally stared barking and ran up the trail. An old guy was 'running' his dog in the field, he was driving his pickup. We chatted for a while and he and "Hanna" headed on around the field. Sally and I headed back to the river to watch the fish rise. We tried a few other spots before heading down to the stocked section where I picked off a couple of "truckers", just enough to get rid of a skunk.

Headed back home at dusk. Good day despite the conditions.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

looks like a good day,
that sweaty betty rates as one of the worst beers i have ever tasted.............
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

blue ridge angler

Getting out despite the wind..That's the way..
but for the beer tasting on the way to fish I gotta say..

{S;

The Dude

What was the bartender doing with his hands during that photo?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: The Dude on February 20, 2011, 21:50:13 PM
What was the bartender doing with his hands during that photo?

pouring a sample?  :;!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Keith, I fished it yesterday upstream of where you were and caught a few on midges.  The wind whipped my rear.  I might possibly could have adapted to the wind if it would have made it's mind up and blown in just one direction.  It shifted in every direction and drove me nuts.  It was nice to be back up there, though.