News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Hey Bugman whats this

Started by robbcoats, February 24, 2011, 22:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbcoats

Hey Buggy saw these and wondered what the hell is it?

bugman

Rat-tailed Maggot (Diptera-true fly, Family=Syrphidae)

We find them in the farm animal waste lagoons.  And they're sold in the north as "mousies" for ice fishing I think.

robbcoats

Hmmm waste ponds even better than its name.Should Transylwader worry I found it in his beers? ;D

bugman

I hope you didn't find these in Transy's beer.  Although I think they could survive in a beer, if it was open and they could get some air. 

They should be fairly easy to rear I would think, which would make them ideal for the live bait industry.

On another note, I've paid more attention of the Karma-o-meter after John enlightened me.  I see my denominator continues to increase and even swelled by 1 from my maggot response.  I am beginning to think my ex-wife is a member; she never agreed with anything I did or said.  Not to disparage any gals that might be members of or visit this forum, but this whole applaud/smite deal seems very femininishly, squats-to-pee bitter.  I hope I can reach the status of Peddler someday.   

Woolly Bugger

Hey bug? Can you ID this Caddis??? Thanks!  -0-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

bugman

I am pretty sure it is Dolophilodes sp. (sometimes called the winter caddis).  The females are wingless, so yours is a male.  This is likely the only caddis you'll see hatching during the cold winter months. 

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

purple squirrel

Not wanting to hijack the thread but can you ID a could of Bama bugs? I took these between Christmas and New Years Day on the Sipsey and am getting various names by our local experts  ::)
Any input would be appreciated.

Around Christmas, pic and vid same bug

click for video

New Years

bugman

WB – troutnut is a great site.  We had several students collect the wingless females of your critter last week on a small stream here in VA.  The females do not get too far from the water and several were collected after they were washed from rocks by the wake from students wading.

Squirrel – from the pics and vid, all I can tell you is it is a True Fly (Diptera) adult.  Sorry.  If I had to make a guess, I'd say a big fat midge (Chironomidae), but again, that is only a guess.

purple squirrel

Thanks,
I 've been told everything for a caddis to a moth but all I know is when the sun finally hits the water in the morning these things start skirting towards shore and the trout go stupid for them.
Whatever they are they fatten these Bama fish up

The Dude

Quote from: bugman on February 25, 2011, 11:05:40 AM
I am pretty sure it is Dolophilodes sp. (sometimes called the winter caddis).  The females are wingless, so yours is a male.  This is likely the only caddis you'll see hatching during the cold winter months.

If I'm not mistaken, the pupae crawl out of the water and hatch, instead of the typical fast swim up to the surface emergence. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

bugman

Squirrel – it definitely is not a caddis or an aquatic moth.  There are a few aquatic moths.  You 3rd pic is the best and I still think it is a female midge.