News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Trial of Raymond Cook

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 19, 2011, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you sentenence him?

Guilty - 2nd degree murder 18 - 20 years!
12 (75%)
Guilty - 2nd degree murder 7 years! (minimum sentence)
2 (12.5%)
Guilty - felony murder by vechicle - 2 years
0 (0%)
Guilty - DWI/murder - probation
0 (0%)
He should have taken the plea bargain!
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Woolly Bugger

I've been watching some of this trial on wral.com
They are streaming the trial live and have video archives of the whole trial.

Yesterday the jury got to look at 20-year-old Elena Bright Shapiro's car outside the courthouse.

[attach=1]

I think, from what I've seen so far that this guy should have taken the plea bargain, whatever it was, as I think the jury will have to find him guilty of 2nd degree murder. His BAC, 2 hours after the crash, was .245! I calculate that is is close to 750ml of booze over the 6 hours prior to the crash.

His lawyers aren't helping him so far, it will be interesting to see if they can muster up a defense at all. Lesson learned so far, never ask a question that you don't know the answer to! Case in point, the defense asked a witness, Lee Panosian, who had heard Dr. Cook's loud a offensive language at the country club bar, "He didn't slur his speech, did he?" "No, that's not correct, his speech was slurred!" "You didn't report that to the police, why didn't you mention that to them?", "They never asked!"

I think this slimball is going to serve a long sentence, too bad Tolly Carr didn't face the same penalty. 
'
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stuart R.

Man that is a horrible. Where did this happen? So I guess he was drunk and hit a sitting occupied car and killed the driver? That really sucks 20 is too dang young.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Woolly Bugger

It happened in Raleigh NC, she was in stopped in the turn land and this piece of shit hit her from behind doing 80 - 100 mph
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

cmiller51h

They need to throw the book at him! If it had been my kid, the only trial would be MINE!!!!! Long distance, the next best thing to being there! I've got a cousin who got a DUI and before he could get to trial, got another one! They sentenced him yesterday to 30 days in county! Not enough! We need to get these drunks off our streets! I like to take good drink now and then, but I DONT DRIVE!!!!! Bust their azzes! Good for the judge.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

blue ridge angler

If you get behind the wheel drunk, only bad things will happen..he will have to sleep in the bed he made..just a shame that someone else lost there life because he was a fucktard..FTG!!

diaz dassie

I knew the girl that was killed by that cunt. What a dayum disgrace he even gets a plea. Shut down that shithole bar Pipers Tavern, and hang Cooks ass in Moore Square

MarshStomper

There was a kid hit by a drunk driver in Columbia while crossing the street been in ICU all week, no excuse for driving drunk lock him up.
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good

Leedawg

Strap him down in the street and let the family run him over SLOWLY with a tracked vehicle (dozer, tank, etc)

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Dayum, no defense, but then again what possible defense could this scumbag have...
me -There's a season?

phg

The lawyer is counting on getting the law voided on appeal.  Second degree murder requires "malice aforethought," and going out and getting drunk, by itself, doesn't constitute malice.  By going for the maximum penalty, the prosecutor has set up the possibility that Cook will walk, or at the most, just get a slap on the wrist.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: phg on February 25, 2011, 15:13:12 PM
The lawyer is counting on getting the law voided on appeal.  Second degree murder requires "malice aforethought," and going out and getting drunk, by itself, doesn't constitute malice.  By going for the maximum penalty, the prosecutor has set up the possibility that Cook will walk, or at the most, just get a slap on the wrist.

I think that you're wrong on the legal definition of malice. I think that the prosecution has, beyond a shadow of a doubt, proved their case.

Listen to the closing arguments and the judges instructions to the jury.

---

I wouldn't be surprised if the jury returns a guilty (of murder in the 2nd degree) today, if not Monday!

I listened to most of the testimony over the past 9 days and I wouldn't have any difficulty in finding him guilty in less than 20 minutes.   
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I think that Roger Smith Jr.'s closing arguments for the defense are despicable !
me -There's a season?

diaz dassie

Look, aint nuthin gonna bring little Elena back, Cock, ahem Cook should be sentenced to a minimum of 20.  (-s
Another prime example of how fucked up the Tar Heel state is and sucks donkey dick at enforcing LAWS b';
Mike Easley?
Hang him in Moore Square
Bev Perdue?
Skin her alive and display her under salt water at the Aquarium in Kure Beach