News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bird

Started by 5xTippett, January 01, 2011, 11:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

Saw this boy yesterday afternoon fairly close to my office.  Pretty neat!  He posed for me for a few pictures before hauling buggy.

jwgnc

I salute you. (The eagle that is) :-)
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Al

Ya' got to move faster or bath more often Ben. He was probably waiting for you to expire.  Bald Eagles are scavengers and carrion eaters contrary to the popular belief of them being hunters and killers of their own prey 

5xTippett

Yeah I know, Al.  There was something dead in the field he was chewing on.  This is the first one I have seen within 10 miles of Hartsville.  He was right by the road until I stopped.  He didn't fly far then.

bugman

Very neat!

So Al, you're saying Bald Eagles will not take live prey?

phg

Bald Eagles are opportunistic, and a little bit lazy.  They will take live prey if they can't find an easier meal.  They are actually pretty fair fishers, although not as good as an Osprey, and fish seems to be their preferred food, although they will also snatch a small animal, if the opportunity presents itself.  That's why most Bald Eagles nesting sites are near water.   We've got a few here around Falls Lake.

Al

Quote from: bugman on January 01, 2011, 18:49:05 PM
Very neat!

So Al, you're saying Bald Eagles will not take live prey?

Nope, I am in agreement with PHG - They are opportunists and if it isn't moving it makes a good meal.  (Keep moving Ben! Keep moving!)