Damn good post from Singlebarbed

Started by snagaluffaguss, December 16, 2010, 22:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

OldDominionAngler

So, what shall TU do?  It's an organization committed to protecting and restoring wild salmon stocks, and the article notes that they've concluded that this potential approval poses "grave risks to wild salmon fisheries in the U.S. and around the world".  I'd say they're obligated to raise their hand and ask questions.

And the problem cannot be so simply boiled down to people v. salmon genes.  Or what we define as "pure salmon" (last I checked, there's a difference between wild and genetically engineered fish). The decision is being made by people, by the FDA in potentially approving the production and distribution of a bioengineered fish without even making an effort to understand its potential effects on existing stocks of wild fish.  Seems like TU has the fair stance here, whether you're arguing the inherent evil of "Frankenfish" or not.  If all goes as Aquabounty would have it, the fish gets approved and makes it to the market while keeping the consumer uninformed of the the fish's origin and incapable of making their own decision about what they're actually eating.  Fillet O' Fish, anyone?

I just don't think it's fair to throw an organization under the bus for making this effort...asking that "an informed analysis and decision to be made" in regards to a decision with potentially catastrophic effects on a critically engangered stock of fish that the organization exists to protect...whether they're going to win their battle or not.  If not that, then what?

diaz dassie

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Ha Lord, its better then hea! :laugh:

Peddler

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

bugman

Keith, would you care to explain why this makes Anderson a bad person?  Many thanks.

diaz dassie

Quote from: bugman on December 17, 2010, 12:20:14 PM
Keith, would you care to explain why this makes Anderson a bad person?  Many thanks.
Steve, he's the wrong Ian, the real bad man is Ian Astbury, now he's a bad ass!

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

bugman

I tend to agree Woolly B..  But you might want to measure your recommendation; some of your constituents may need time to acclimate.

http://www.americanrivers.org/our-work/global-warming-and-rivers/

troutphisher

I think we need the opinion from a Ghey man, on the "Good vs. Bad" question.

Hey Barney Boy, can you chime in here?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.