Weak SoHo report and question

Started by bugman, November 01, 2010, 08:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

Quote from: dshort on November 08, 2010, 16:39:38 PM
I'm a relative newcomer to the river so I don't have much of a frame of reference - but I have a few questions.  I know that the area from Rivers Way down through Judd's is closed through the spawn.  Is it true that many of the larger fish spawn upstream of this area in the TVA section of the river?  And is it also true that it's common practice to fish for these trout even while they're on the redds in November and December?  Are there guides in the area that will even take clients to try for these big fish on the redds? How long has this been going on?

I've heard that a lot of this is true and have heard some anglers talking about it, although I've never seen it for myself.  If all of this is true, couldn't this be a contributing factor in the decline of bigger fish?  Maybe not enough of the bruisers are passing on their genes because they aren't being left alone to spawn...

Let the annual "Rape the Spawn" post begin...right on schedule.  ;D ;D ;D

dshort

QuoteLet the annual "Rape the Spawn" post begin...right on schedule. 

Not trying to start an argument or pass judgement and I apologize if this has been covered before.  I guess however you feel about the ethics of fishing for spawners is a personal matter as long as you aren't doing anything illegal.  I was just curious about whether it happens on the Holston, how widespread it is, and whether people think it affects the success rate.

bugman

Damn, I almost wish I had not broached the subject! - but not enough to question my posts.  If I happen to be "out there where the buses don't run" with my faith in the data, then it will not be a first. 

I found the data/recommendations interesting.  I don't think the data reflects negative spawning.  In fact it likely reveals the overwhelming success of spawning.  It simply looks like there are too many smaller trout.

It was not my intent to offend by posting data on a river that I enjoy.  I am not suggesting a rape of the river, small or big browns.  But to ignore trends presented by biologists that are responsible for the management of the resource is something that I have a hard time comprehending.

Take care ladies and gentlemen. 

River Man

While I lack scientific data to support my theory (my own observations), I believe that  generation flows are the largest single factor determining the success rate of the spawn.  Three years ago....low flows during the spawn......tons of small fish during the summer.  Two years ago....low flows.....terrific spawn.  Last year....high water throughout the spawn....very poor spawn (very, very few small browns seen along the river edges after hatching...almost no 3-5 inch fish seen recently).

flatlander

Quote from: dshort on November 08, 2010, 17:10:55 PM
QuoteLet the annual "Rape the Spawn" post begin...right on schedule. 

Not trying to start an argument or pass judgement and I apologize if this has been covered before.  I guess however you feel about the ethics of fishing for spawners is a personal matter as long as you aren't doing anything illegal.  I was just curious about whether it happens on the Holston, how widespread it is, and whether people think it affects the success rate.

dshort...I wasn't digging on you at all.  This topic comes up every year about this time and usually turns ugly.  It usually gets triggered by a well-intentioned post and quickly goes downhill from there. Sorry if you thought I was calling you out.

I agree with what Bugman is saying.  There appear to be a ton of small browns in the river, but the number of slot-sized fish is declining.  Bugman, do you have a chart that shows the overall shock counts on the river?  Has that continued to grow as slot-sized fish numbers decline?

jwgnc

I kept three - and they were delicious
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Trout Maharishi

Dipshit,
I'm not going change my habits just because of one little graph p;- I keep 40 or 50 every time I go over there. I've made some special 5/0 weighted treble hooks after watching that alligator hunting show. They should be able to snag the big ones and hold on. The fish lay thousands of eggs, and about half of them die every year anyway, what the hell are a couple big hens or old bucks gonna hurt, especially if they have already laid their eggs. I've got 14 mouths to feed, and this Obummer dude ain't making things any easier. May need to turn out a couple of my older wives out if this economy keeps up.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Holy one, you got any old toothless wifes?......I'll throw up a sawbuck for toothless..... -+;
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.