News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith Again

Started by 5xTippett, October 17, 2010, 14:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I rolled on back North Saturday morning.  I had decided to go downstream and look around for awhile and see if anything was going on.  I fished for a little while with no sign of life.  When I saw sulphers popping off with nothing eating them I realized that was not a good sign, plus the wind was about to blow me away.  I headed upstream where I knew I could get out of the wind.  I bit the streamer off, shortened my tippett to about a foot or so and tied a beetle on.  I caught fish for the next hour or two.  I hooked one big boy ( for the Smith) that jumped straight at me and threw my beetle at me.  He knew what he was doing.  I stopped at a couple of bridges on the way home and saw a zillion bugs.  I saw a bunch of sulphers and midges with a few assorted other bugs thrown in for good measure.  I was planning on fishing midges, but the wind took care of that and I'm glad that it did.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Way to go Ben. I am heading up tomorow but going to collect fly tying material ::) instead of fishing.

jwhop3

Al, what fly shop do you frequent? Is it in or near Bassett? I am looking for something other than having to drive into Roanoke to get less than quality material.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

5xTippett

JW, Al shoots his own fly tying material. :D

phg

...or picks up roadkill.

Al has a harder time getting flytying material that most of us.  There just ain't nutten' in Fayetteville.  The Orvis Store in Raleigh is the best many of us can do.  That's why I always pop into the local flyshops when I'm traveling, not that I ever find much I don't already have. 

flyman

Is that a beetle I see in that fish's mouth? That isn't one of those Townsend beetles is it? I've been hearing about those, how do you tie those anyway?
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

22midge

I hate to give out his secrete but 5x doesnt tie the beetles......... he puts a hook in the real thing and freezes it.Cant noboby tie something that looks so real. He gave me some of those beetles last year---I left the fly box open and when I come back there was nothing but beetle shit and a few tracks left in the box.  -0- -0- -0- bd;0
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

5xTippett

Flyman, Mr. Midge is exagerating a little bit.  Some guy named Larry gave me a bunch.  I just turn them upside down and zap a gap the dickens out of the bottom.  Glue a couple of real beetle legs on and you are ready to roll. -0- -0-

troutrus

Good job. Glad to see more anglers doing their part to thin the population of those small browns.

jwhop3

Quote from: 5xTippett on October 18, 2010, 14:50:34 PM
JW, Al shoots his own fly tying material. :D

Yeah, when I re-read Al's post I remembered he's hunting this time of year. Al, let us know if you have any excess deer belly hair this year. I'm learning how to spin, and I needs the practice.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

Hopalong7

Hey JW, you need to check with dad.  He's been after the road kill lately.....stocked up on coon and possum....but, it's time for the Bambis to start moving now. ;D

possessed

Nice looking browns.   8)

jwhop3

Quote from: Hopalong7 on October 20, 2010, 07:12:01 AM
      Hey JW, you need to check with dad.  He's been after the road kill lately.....stocked up on coon and possum....but, it's time for the Bambis to start moving now. ;D

Problem with those is they're already stained red. I might want other colors, you know?  It's hard to explain to my co-workers in Franklin Co why they saw me on the side of the road sawing up a carcass.

~by Doug Larsen~