Fish in a barrel were shot.

Started by bullship, October 07, 2010, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullship

I haven't had a day off in a long time. My wife's 6 months pregnant, and doesn't have a job, so I've taken on the sole provider role and work, work, work. She also had her insurance cancelled when they found out she was pregnant, so we're paying for this thing out of pocket. Anyway....it's been stressful lately, and I've barely been able to wet a line, so I lowered my standards and put my moral aversions away for a few hours to catch the absolute dumbest fish I've had the pleasure of shooting in a barrel. I went to Jacob's Fork for the first time yesterday, and after a little looking around, found lots of fresh meat. I don't know when they stocked it, but it could have been 5 minutes before I got there. It's been a couple years since I fished a DH, but I don't remember the fish being this mentally challenged. The water was somewhat low, and crystal clear without many hiding places, so most were just flailing about in open water and ate anything that was stripped by their fat heads. I caught at least a dozen before I started to feel guilty about it, and wondered whether I'd have my phone full of 'where the hell have you been in the middle of the day' voicemails.... I've never been so bored catching fat 16"-18" fish in my life, and it really got me wondering why we spend money and time stocking thousands of fish in water where they could never survive on their own. I'm not necessarily against the idea or the practice, but i think I'll leave my rod at home next time and try to catch them by hand. At least that would provide some challenge. No photos for a number of reasons, but mostly because you know what they look like.....
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Woolly Bugger

good luck man, we were "self insured" (no maternity coverage) for our two kids..../
  -0- -0-

Hope all goes well for you and your wife.... get your fishing in now ... ;)

I guess your wife's insurance cancellation is part of the new Obamacare? WTF??

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

gamatt53

Thats basically the same experience I had the last time fished a DH...havn't been back since.  I'm actually revisiting one this weekend though to take a newb fly fishing for the first time so hopefully we run into those same dumb fish for him haha.

kylemc

Damn, good luck and hang in there man.

Kyle

diaz dassie

Matt,

Hope your wifes preganancy goes well, as for insurance droppage, thats some fucked up shit...
On the DH? You should be shot, a classy angler like you should be fishing for bronze backs instead!
Joking, I too havent had much of an erection over stockers in several years. I need the wild blue pill... :;!

bullship

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 07, 2010, 10:47:13 AMI guess your wife's insurance cancellation is part of the new Obamacare? WTF??

I don't really know what happened. She had a cobra policy since she was laid off, but obviously they intended to only cover her and not a pregnancy....even though it had maternity coverage. I don't have the energy, time, or money to try to fight it, so we're hoping for the best....if all goes to shit and we have a million dollar hospital bill....well, they can have my life savings of 47 dollars and go fuck themselves.

I ended up with nearly a whole day off tomorrow, so Ryan and I are going to try to find some fall carps, if they haven't cooled off too much yet.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Get Bent

The insurance shit sucks.... Its a huge money racket.. I prefer to call it "Medical INC". My wife works in health care, and she tells me about how the corporate schmucks are always whining about the bottom line and how her office is in the red all the time. I find it hard to believe, since on an average day she makes them in the neighborhood of 24k, and that's just the Nuclear Med part of the practice, that doesn't include the many doctors, echo techs etc.... Its all BS, and I think its only gonna get worse when Obammy gets done ass raping us!

Enough of that..

Lets "F" Carp up tomorrow, or at least make an attempt <-;: d:b y; 0:0
Konichiwa Bitches!

gamatt53

Quote from: bullship on October 07, 2010, 11:54:56 AM

I don't really know what happened. She had a cobra policy since she was laid off, but obviously they intended to only cover her and not a pregnancy....even though it had maternity coverage. I don't have the energy, time, or money to try to fight it, so we're hoping for the best....if all goes to shit and we have a million dollar hospital bill....well, they can have my life savings of 47 dollars and go fuck themselves.

I ended up with nearly a whole day off tomorrow, so Ryan and I are going to try to find some fall carps, if they haven't cooled off too much yet.

I work in HR (not specifically in benefits however) and this just screams of an ERISA violation. Cobra is an optional 18 month continuation of the companys health plan and if it includes maternity coverage ( as it should) then at least the first 48 hours of hostpital stay should be covered if delivered via normal means and 96 hours if via C-section.

Also the childbirth should be considered a qualifiying life event and allow her to add the baby to the plan just as if she was still employed. Assuming she is recieving the Cobra premium subsity as a result of the Recovery Act the cost of coverage is going to be a ton cheaper for the kid at least until the cobra runs out and I think even then a dependant qualifies for a 36 month extension.

The only thing I can think of is if the 18 month window will be up before the baby is due? Anway If I were you I would be documenting all convesations between yourself, the employer, and the insurance company and bringing it to a laywer consultation STAT.

tbird4

Catching dumb fish are better than the swift kick in the balls you just received.  Keep yo head up man.  Oh, like WB said get your feeshun in now, you don't get any time or sleep for the first couple months.

flyguync

I'm planning to hit the Mitchell tomorrow with my 10 y.o. daughter.  I prefer wild waters, but you can't beat the D.H. water for first timers.

Trout Maharishi

Glad you got out, sorry about the insurance problems. You would have though something like that couldn't happen with all the crap they shoved down our throats. and all the promises that were made. Tell the hospital you are Mexican, they don't even bother to charge them, they just go ahead and write it off. We are all in deep do-do if something isn't done about this Obummer care >:Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Rod Champion

It is illegal to cancel health insurance on that basis. If that is true, call the insurance commissioner of your state, he will fix that deal.. and quick.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Peddler

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 07, 2010, 10:47:13 AM
I guess your wife's insurance cancellation is part of the new Obamacare? WTF??

This is the kind of crap the middle-man insurance companies pull that made government get involved.
Some of you may enjoy the rising health care costs we've had well before Obama came into the scene through higher copays, deductables, premiums and denied claims and coverage but many of us don't. Sure it's too bad the insurance companies can't clean up their own act but I still can't help but wonder why they didn't before government got involved.
All insurance companies aren't the Saints many of you make them out to be. In fact, most every civilized nation doesn't allow so much money be filtered through the middle man like we do here.
Must have sumpin' to do with campaign contributions ya think?  b';

Best wishes for an an easy and carefree child birth, bs. Once the baby pops, tell the old lady to get her ass back to work!  d:b
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Leedawg

Health insurance??? WTF are you guys talking about. I will die due to lack of access to health care. Guess I will b in jail with about a billion other uninsured MFers in 2014. Or I will be in costa rica on the tica $69 a month plan. Land Of the Free MY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get them stockers bullship. Somebody gotta educate em. Watch that get bent dude.  bd;0He catching your fish MON!!!!!!!!!