News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Good to be back on the Smith

Started by rjs123, October 08, 2010, 20:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I was gone for over a month and half and returned on Monday. I finally had a chance to fish today on the Smith.  I really missed this river!  I didnt do great just caught around 6 fish but it was good to be back.  The water is gin clear and seems to be a bit low. There were a LOT of bugs coming off the water today. At least 4 different kinds.  A one time it looked like snow with the sun backlighting the rising bugs.  Lots of small browns feeding near the surface.  All those little browns that are normally on the bottom between the rocks were swimming below the surface, something Ive not seen before and Ive fished the river 100s of times.   I tried a couple of drys but couldnt get a hit.  I think they were sipping them before they broke the surface.  The few I caught were on a zebra midge and some small nymphs.  Nothing big and I only bothered to get a pic of one of the browns.   Weather looks good and no generation this weekend so Ill be out again tomorrow.

[attachimg=1]

jwgnc

RJ - Good to see those silver nitrate stained fingers again.

And I'm happy to see that you failed in your attempt to slit your wrists.   ;D
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

phg

Midges are a good guess, but maybe some small BWO's, say size 20 or 22.  The Smith doesn't seem to have very many of the larger insects.  Nice that you could get out, though.  Somebody needs to harass those fish while Al's off chasing deer.... 'c;

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 09, 2010, 08:59:20 AM
try these in #18 or #20

[attachimg=1]

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=80GR&dir_id=1236&group_id=1240&cat_id=5838&subcat_id=7159

Just got a dozen of these in the mail today. They were on sale for I think it was a buck each.  First 2 casts and fish on.  2 small browns.  Then they stopped hitting it and I moved on.  Didnt have any other action on it so I switch back to a nymph and got a couple more.  Tried the greased lighting again later and got another brown again on the first cast.  Conditions were not at all like I described when you said I should get these though Keith.  This one will probably do the trick when they are really rising.  There were a few rising today but not a lot. Thanks for the tip on the fly.