News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A Fall Trip of a different sort

Started by rbphoto, October 04, 2010, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

Saturday was one of our many, fabled, family trips to the mountains.

We go there often and wish we could figure out how to live there without giving up family, friends, jobs, etc. where we currently reside.

We've been trying for nearly 17 years without success.

When we do head to the mountains, we bring back treasured memories, many captured photographically . . .

This trip was at the request of our youngest son who recently received a Pentax Optio W90 for his 14th birthday.  He wanted to get in the water and play with the waterproof feature.

I caught him putting on a set of waders and boots . . .

We made a quick stop by the hatchery to remind the kids what different trout look like.

We all know what these look like . . .

And here's a shot of some of the hardest fish to catch in all of Western North Carolina - the most prominent fish silhouette in this picture is probably 20+ inches long and it's not, by any means, the biggest in the stream.

Of course, the day was not really about fishing.  It was much more about family time and relaxing together.

Which is why we do things like browse store shelves . . .

and take pics of goofy kids skipping stones . . .

You can almost tell it's starting to be Autumn around here based on the fleece and the cap . . .

but not based on the rolled up pants and bare feet.

And then there are the riverbanks and the rocks . . .

and the worn out flies on the end of worn out leaders on the end of fairly new lines wrapped around new reels and new rods . . .

All the while, my thoughts are haunted by monsters

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ncguy

Stuart R.

Great pics! And kudos for getting out with your kids. I love to take my little girl to the river with me.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

diaz dassie

Those are some insanely cool photo's.Nothing better than some sublime pix. What type of rig you got there mate? Your pix are magazine material for sure 'c;

dnakamoto

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!

jwgnc

bd;0 bd;0

Outstanding family trip and great photos. 
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Trout Maharishi

Send me $29.95 and I will divulge the secret formula for catching those fish. -0- Nice photos, nice way to spend a weekend 'c;
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

rbphoto

I can catch those fish . . .

Well, I can hook those fish.

And LDR them quite nicely.

I keep showing up under-gunned, when the sun is shining bright.

I'm typically a small water guy but those fish, well, haunting just 'bout says it all.

I have an 8 wt in the truck for dirty water days up there.  One day, I'll hit it right.

QuoteThose are some insanely cool photo's.Nothing better than some sublime pix. What type of rig you got there mate? Your pix are magazine material for sure

Thank you.

The camera gear is a Canon 5dM2 with an assortment of lenses - Saturday's was the 70-200 f4L, but my normal fishing gear is my 20d.  I don't worry about trashing that one so much anymore.

My dream job is for www.catchmagazine.net as a flyfishing photographer.

Now, anybody wanna hit up a SC gorge stream over Halloween weekend?

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

tomato can

Nice pictures especially the wading shoe picture.