News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SoHo 9/27/10

Started by ASUfisherman, September 30, 2010, 16:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASUfisherman

Despite a less than appealing weather forecast, a friend and I decided to head over to TN to get some tailwater fishing in.  Had planned on floating, but generation schedule on the Holston didn't cooperate, so decided (were forced) to wade which I was fine with and turned out to be a great day on the water.  Started in one of my favorite riffles in the heavy fog morning.  Tied on a PTN with a bwo nymph dropper.  Caught good fish on both, but the bwo nymph outfished the PTN at least 2 to 1 maybe 3 to 1. 

Fish were rising to midges the whole morning, but a decent bwo hatch started to come off around 11:00.  At this point it was very overcast, but hadn't rained all morning.  Started seeing fish take the bwo's so i switched to a dry fly pattern.  Caught a few like this, but the fish were still keying in on midges more than the mayfly's.  After not catching as many fish this way, switched back to the nymph rig.  Noticed also that many fish were taking the fly on the swing or on the strip, so I started getting more fish by stripping the nymphs over the fish.  (Thanks to WB and TP's last report for this technique).

At around 1:00 the sulphurs started coming off steadily, so switched to the dry again and that's when things got ridiculous.  Fished the Sulphur until around 4:30 when the water started coming up, and I had to get back to Boone so we headed out after a very solid days worth of fishing.

Battery in my camera was dead, so only have a few pictures that my buddy took. 
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

OldDominionAngler

Looks like great conditions. Fish were keying on nymphs on the swing big time last time I fished it.  Good stuff . 'c;

When do they shut down sections of river for the brown spawn?

Woolly Bugger

good day ASU

spawning grounds close Nov. 1
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jkilday4

Nice report.

Curious - when you're stripping the nymphs, do you do so with or without indicator?

ASUfisherman

The first few fish i caught this way were on the indicator.  Would let the fly swing, and if I didn't get a take on the swing I would slowly strip back over the strike zone.  However after a while, I just took the indicator off and fished the nymphs on tight line and experimented with stripping across stream, upstream, etc...
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

Trout Maharishi

Is that an egg patten I see :o
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

diaz dassie

Bastardo! Hells yes, nice beasts you got there breh -0-

cmiller51h

What's up with blanking out the faces? You guys in the Witness Protection Program or something? Oh and nice fishies! :D
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

jwhop3

They're like Batman and Spiderman, can't let their identities be known.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~