News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Albacore are in

Started by troutrus, September 13, 2010, 06:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

For those interested, the false albacore have moved inshore and are showing up just outside of Barden and Beaufort Inlets. Mostly small fish so far and feeding on tiny baits. It's looking good for another great season.

flatlander

I read they're seeing more bait in Barden inlet than they've seen in years.  Those 7-8 lbers are a blast on a 6 wt. 

MFTG

Wow, 6wt for albies is BALLSY!  Lifting em once they've gone vertical is a chore on an 8 or 9wt...good on ya bud.  Looking forward to hittin em again this fall.

flatlander

Quote from: MFTG on September 13, 2010, 11:38:47 AM
Wow, 6wt for albies is BALLSY!  Lifting em once they've gone vertical is a chore on an 8 or 9wt...good on ya bud.  Looking forward to hittin em again this fall.

Agreed.  I'm talking 6 wt for the little ones...I wouldn't try that when the bigger guys show up :D

troutrus

Headed back down tomorrow for a few days. Leaving the boat at home this time. Plan to hitch a ride out to rough point with an 8 wt, a medium spinning rod, and a small cooler of beverages and see if any show up. If not, there's usually some blues and spanish over there.

flatlander

Good luck...Hope you you get into them

Get Bent

Quote from: troutrus on September 13, 2010, 14:39:48 PM
Headed back down tomorrow for a few days. Leaving the boat at home this time. Plan to hitch a ride out to rough point with an 8 wt, a medium spinning rod, and a small cooler of beverages and see if any show up. If not, there's usually some blues and spanish over there.

I hear people of your age have balance problems, so don't fall in! :P

Oh and  pn? So I expect to see some type of visual stimulation when your decrepit ass returns -+;
Konichiwa Bitches!

thenextlevel

Can anyone recommend a guide that is available in November?  Flatout and Flygirl are totally booked, and everyone else I talk to doesn't really do fly fishing.  Any recommendations? I really want to get into some False Albacore this year!

flatlander

Quote from: thenextlevel on September 14, 2010, 22:16:13 PM
Can anyone recommend a guide that is available in November?  Flatout and Flygirl are totally booked, and everyone else I talk to doesn't really do fly fishing.  Any recommendations? I really want to get into some False Albacore this year!

Call Rob Pasfield at the Harkers Island Fishing Center  252 728 3907

NCTribute

Call John Martyn, Martyn's Sea & Stream, he is good friends with Flatout and Flygirl (they just wrapped up their Oregon Inlet season, going to Baha, then down to Harker's). Let me know, I will split it with you. John's phone is 919-572-1616, 919-819-3018. I will probably see John Sat morning for a casting critique.
Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me?

flatlander

Quote from: NCTribute on September 15, 2010, 20:44:59 PM
I will probably see John Sat morning for a casting critique.

Why don't you post a video of your casting on here.  I'm sure you would get more than a few "casting critiques" here for a lot less than John is going to charge you :D

BTW, I agree that John Martyn would be another ggod choice of guides down there...just don't get in his way when he's launching his boat...he almost mowed me down one morning before sunnup in the parking lot of the fishing center

NCTribute

Why don't you post a video of your casting on here.  I'm sure you would get more than a few "casting critiques" here for a lot less than John is going to charge you :D

I think a video of my casting would be considered a horror show!
Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me?

troutrus

Lot's of good guides down that way. Locating and catching Albacore isn't rocket science, thus a number of guides from northern outer banks, the inner banks, and even Durham can successfully put you on fish when they're around. Problem is that some of these out of town guides are in a bind if the weather or other factors make the Albies scarce.
Personally I prefer guides who offer a backup plan. Local guides in many cases can put you on Drum and Trout if your primary target species is unavailable. Here's one with a good reputation and a heck of a nice guy. http://www.nativeguide.net/index.html

Get Bent

QuotePersonally I prefer guides who offer a backup plan. Local guides in many cases can put you on Drum and Trout if your primary target species is unavailable. Here's one with a good reputation and a heck of a nice guy. http://www.nativeguide.net/index.html

I figured someone that knows everything wouldn't have to hire a guide. But then again it is probably wise since you need help with you adult diapers!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Call it a hunch, but I bet you are the typical sport.. Know it all, been there, fished that, the guy who annoys the piss out of everyone with his one uppers. You are probably decked out in Orvis(no offense to those who dig Orvis) gear and the guide probably has to cast for you so you can hook -up! 8)

{S; (-s (-s (-s {S; (-s (-s (-s pn?
Konichiwa Bitches!

troutrus

Get Bent,
Though I have fished with guides down there, I've never hired a guide to fish for false Albacore. Generally very easy to locate and not a great challenge to hook and land, even an angler of your skill level could do OK. Most times you don't even need to concentrate on a strip strike, so no danger of screwing up as you did with your attempt at Red Drum.
If karma ratings on this board are an indicator that I annoy people, I guess you may be correct. Not too worried about that, since I've met very few people from this board and wasn't very impressed with most of them. Then again, your Karma rating here with a 1:5 ratio doesn't exactly make you Mr. popularity.
Not sure what the Orvis comment means, but I do have an old pair of Orvis waders that I use from time to time on trout streams. Normally at the coast I'll be wearing Grundens and a pair of Harkers Island flip flops once the weather starts to turn cool.
Based on what I've seen and heard about you, if I were you I'd stay in the hills and fish those pay to play streams.