News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith- fish, snakes, and thunderstorms

Started by 5xTippett, July 18, 2010, 15:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I headed up to Ridgeway on Friday afternoon. I chedked into the motel and headed to the river.  I was planning on following the falling water until dark.  However, they lied about the generation schedule and had cut the water off early.  I fished a little downstream of where I was originally planning.  That worked out fine because there was fog on the water and the fish were ready to play.  I caught a bunch from around 6:30 until 8:30.  It was pretty strong except the fish were pretty much dinks, even by Smith standards.  I got back in the car and was heading downstream by the place I had entered the water, when I noticed a snake in the road.  It looked a little chunky for my taste, so I got out and went to look at him in the car lights.  It was a copperhead, so I hopped back in the car and squished him flat.  He happened to be in a spot I normally enter the water when I fish that pool and I don't want pucture holes in my waders.  I then rode back to Ridgeway and visited with Dean, who besides being one of the nicest guys I know, can also fish with the best of them.  I got up Saturday Morning, checked a spot downstream, saw nothing moving and headed back upstream to where I was originally going Friday.  I hopped in the water and caught a fish on my second cast.  I caught  fish steadily for the next couple of hours.  I did not have periods of fish on every other cast like Friday, but it was more fun, because they were some what bigger.  Around 12:30 or so I heard a rumble and realized  I was coming under attack by a pretty serious thunderstorm.  I sat in the car for an hour and a half.  When the storm had passed the river had turned into chocolet milk.  Time to go home.

Woolly Bugger

gotta love those bigger Smith River Browns!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Al

Better watch out Ben, them tree huggers are going to get you for squishing that poor snake -p- -0- -0-

5xTippett

Albert,  He was in a spot I have been known to enter the river.   I do believe I've seen you wandering around in there from time to time, also. I did not think either one of us needed twin holes punched in our waders. >:D