News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Military Appreciation Day @ NCWRC Pechmann Center 7-14-10

Started by Al, July 15, 2010, 06:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Second Wednesday of the month is Military Appreciation day at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center. We used to call it Wounded Warrior & NC Handicapped Sportsmen but in order to attract the number of participants required to justify staffing, we opened it up to anyone associated with the military, both active and retired. NCWRC provides the venue and a group of volunteers provide the instruction and oversight. Participants trickled in all afternoon and by the time it was all over at least twenty-five military and  family members enjoyed a change of pace which included some good fishing.

Many of our volunteers have a keen interest in fly fishing and fly tying, therefore anyone who wants to learn the basics skills required of either has come to the right spot. Several of the Wounded Warriors with symptoms of TBI gravitate to fly tying because it challenges their mental and motor skills.

"Ricky", a soldier who has been with us before proudly displays a small bream which fell for a foam beetle he personally tied just a few moments before. At the end of the day he cut the beetle off, placed it in his pocket and proclaimed that it would have a place of honor along side the Woollybugger he tied two months ago.

Lots of kids out today  -  We like that. Our events make for some quality family time.

This young fellow is not sure if he has caught a fish or the fish has caught him.

With a little help from dad, our little "Capt'n Ahab" lands "Moby Dick"

"Mom" and daughter of a deployed soldier gets an assist from from Marshal Ray, a long time employee of the NCWRC

Military appreciation fishing events are designed to give our soldiers and their families a break and change of pace in their daily routine. Our volunteers who orchestrate and manage these events work hard but they receive more then they give. We all walk away with a smile on our face.  Our next Military Appreciation Day will be August 11, 2010 from 1300-1700 hours. (Always the 2nd Wednesday of each month - mark it on your calendar)

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!