Tea Stick Boo Rod

Started by troutphisher, December 23, 2005, 18:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I Received another boo rod today, It is made by Tea Stick Rod company.
The rod is a 7'-6" 5wt.

It came in a aluminum tube that was powder coated with a nice finish. The cap on the tube is polished aluminum with an 'O' ring gasket seal, same as the headwaters rod tube.

The rod was in a cloth bag with three compartments, one for the butt section and one each for the tips.

The finish on this rod is really nice,  the coat of varnish is very consistent, I could not tell if there were any thin spots, even under magnification. The cane is blond and the wraps are gold tipped in black. The wraps are very tight and clean looking, the varnish coats on the wraps are thick and consistent. This rod also comes with two tips.

The only fault I see in the tips, is no indicator to line up the guides when putting the rod together.
The ferrules are polished nickle silver and fit tight. they made a slight pop sound when I pulled them apart. Both tips fit in the same manner.

The butt section, has the same nice finish as did the tips. The reel seat is plain (no special wood) maple. with a thick finish coat. The hardware is nickle plated and the slip ring has a knurled band around it, this is a nice feature. The finish of the hardware is polished The cork Handel is of good quality, smooth with very small voids.

The rod cast perfectly, it loaded very nicely and easily propelled line out. The feel of this rod is extremely good, I could feel the line load easily. The action of this rod is medium fast.
It cast's well at both short (10ft) and long (40ft) throws. I also tried this rod with a dry fly and a weighted nymph, it cast both fly's very well. I was very pleased with casting this rod.

This rod was priced at $449 including shipping. Again this is probably not a rod to buy if your looking for an investment, but If your planning to fish the rod, this rod also fits the bill.
I bought this rod as a comparison between the headwaters rod, I wanted to make sure I didn't buy the wrong rod, from both a casting performance and quality. I have the opportunity to return this rod for a full refund, but I am going to keep it.

Both this rod and the headwaters rod are good fishing tools. Each has their own qualities and faults.

I am going to fish this rod tomorrow and see how it performs on the water. If it fishes as nice as it cast's, I will have a lot of fun.

The rod in the top of the pic is the Tea Stick.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Nice review, Thanks alot.  :)

phishfool_98

Are they made in China?

phish

Trout Chaser

phg

Remember, the best bamboo has always been grown in China .... ::)