News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent VA saltiness

Started by DarkstarCrashes, June 13, 2010, 16:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkstarCrashes

For whatever reason, 75% of the people I know here who fly fish are almost exclusively into trout fishing. The majority of the rest are stuck on smallies. While I love both, there is nothing quite like the salt spray hitting your face as you run out to cast to big mean stripers.

Over the past year the obsession really took hold. I sold all of my bamboo and fiberglass fly rods, all of my nice vintage click-pawl reels, and have been piecing together a suitable skiff for the shallow saltwater I've been fishing. I have been getting out quite a bit and so far I have yet to see anyone fly fishing or even fishing light tackle in the places I go. Most everyone is trolling the channels. I have no idea why this resource is so under-appreciated but I love it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

And when the tides slack, just run up a river and fish these:

blue ridge angler

hell yes man..
welcome to the low rent district.. 0:0

Stephen

Absolutely. It's crazy to see the number of folks on the NC shore fishing, almost none of which taking advantage of the sight fishing opportunities (using gear or fly); well, I guess everyone and their brother does when the albies come in. I haven't done enough exploring on the Eastern Shore in VA, but I'm willing to bet there's good sight fishing opprtunities for redfish there.

flynhokies

damn man that looks great  y;...you fish mostly at night for them in the light lines?
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

Woolly Bugger

whatever floats your boat...

seriously you have to take advantage of what life offers you and it looks like you've found it  -0-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

DarkstarCrashes

Thanks guys.

The Eastern Shore does have some good sight fishing possibilities. I have only hit a few places there but know of quite a few people who target reds on the barrier island side.

I do a lot of docklight fishing for them, I like coming up to a dock and casting to fish cruising nailing bait. Nothing is much more exciting for me. I do a good amount of daytime fishing though too. The fish are less predictable during the day but once you get the hang of it, they aren't hard to find. We do find stripers on eel grass flats sometimes, they're spooky though.

jwgnc

Salty and sweet.  Looks like fun. 

Haven't fished the salt since my days at Fort Eusless, VA when we'd head east and hit the piers.  We caught some of the strangest looking creatures I had ever seen.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

croaker

I'm one of them other 25%.  4 1/2 hours of windshield time to coldwater Trout... Fun when I can get a coupla days off. 
10 minutes from home to Cypress Trout, Jackfish and only a little over an hour to Speckled Trout.
Grand pictures.

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

diaz dassie

I used to salt flyfish alot in South Africa. My gear used to get tore up coz I was lazy about cleaning it. Besides, I was addicted to surfing so would end up going to the beach, seeing the waves and leaving the fly fishing for a flat day(very seldom), here it's the other way round. I go to the beach to get a tan, liquored and scope out the talent. The mountains is a place I can behave myself :laugh:
Good form, keep this resource under wraps and you willnever experience the Davidson buggery p;-

Cowboy

Now that looks like a good time... congrats on figuring out how to target that wide variety on the fly! -0-

5xTippett

That jack is impressive! -0-

OldDominionAngler

Awesome Tyler, great variety there.  Your post comes on the heels of my first kayak purchase, so I'm pumped to checkout new tidal opportunties in VA this summer.

jwgnc

That's salty - and sweet

Jay - you old fart - didn't you just say that?
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Cowboy

I must say, I also dig the croaker pics. For there size, there sure are fine fighters! ;D