Wounded Warrior & NCHS @ NCWRC Pechmann Center 6-9-10

Started by Al, June 09, 2010, 21:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located just outside the Reilly Road gate to Ft Bragg hosted twenty five plus Wounded Warriors and NC Handicapped Sportsmen today (6-9-10). It is hard to get an accurate count of how many show up because they trickle in all afternoon. We advertise the 2nd Wednesday of each  month as a great time for military families to experience some quality fun time and many wait until the kids are out of school before showing up. We even had a couple of soldiers fish on their own initially and then announce that they would be right back as soon as they went home to pick up the wife and kids. That is fine by us. The NCWRC graciously provides the venue while the program is run entirely by volunteers. We all see this as a way to show our appreciation to the men and women of our military who help protect the freedoms that make this country great.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Our contact with Womack AMC Traumatic Brain Injury unit brought two of her patients out today. They really like the thought process that fly tying puts them through. 

Lots of kids out today. This young fellow caught the first fish but he didn't want anything to do with touching or holding it.

His brother was not so shy about holding a fish. These two brothers probably caught 10-15 fish each before the day was over. As previously mentioned - this is quality family time.

One of our ponds was recently stocked with approximately 30 Largemouth Bass which range in size from 2 pounds on up to 8 or more pounds. Sergeant Dan Wilson who has been with us for several events and has turned into a very good fly fisherman displays one of the smaller fish. He told me he hooked seven more and landed five before the afternoon was over.  Way to go Sarge!!

First fish on a fly rod for this young soldier. It was not the last. I saw him trying all the ponds and his rod had a serious bend in it on several occasions. We have catfish, bream, bass and hybrid stripers available during the warm season. All fishing at our events is on a catch and release basis. A fishing license is not required at our scheduled events.

Meanwhile back at the fly tying station a disabled vet and his wife try their hand at a hobby they have become so enthused about that they purchased fly tying kits soon after last months event. 

What better way to enjoy some quality time outdoors. It sure beats worrying about your next appointment or medical board

One of our TBI soldiers put the fly she just tied to the test. She was not too keen about holding the fish but after a little ribbing by one of the kids she grabbed on and smiled for the camera. This was just one of several she caught today.

Our other TBI soldier was not about to be left behind. He turned out to be a good caster and ended up with several fish.

Where can you find family time that's better then this?

And so ends what I believe was a very good day at the Pechmann Center. We heard lots of laughter and saw lots of smiles. We will continue these 2nd Wednesday of the month events for the foreseeable future. That's July 14th next month. These events are billed as Wounded Warrior & NC Handicapped Sportsmen but they are open to all active and retired military and their families. We had a good number of participants today but would like to double that. They are fairly low budget - NCWRC provides the venue and volunteers provide the instruction. 

While I have your attention I would like to inform you that we will be holding a Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic on Saturday, June 26, 2010. It will start  at 9:00am and end at 3:30pm. Registration through Lake Rim Park (424-6134) . The cost is $5. Pre-registration is required. This is a great opportunity to learn the basics of fly fishing.

jwgnc

Way to go Al, and all those who volunteered.

Nothin like giving some back 0:0
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Good going, Al.  You do great work for a great cause.

kylemc

sweet shades

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!