News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bought a New Net

Started by WRector, May 24, 2010, 18:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRector

Breaking in the New Net

So, I have been in and out of town the last few weeks working in Western, NC on a Stream Restoration and Stormwater Wetland project in WNC. 
See the article link if your interested: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010305060028 

Every evening I have been camping about 30 miles away from the project site in a hidden oasis  ;)  Needless to say I got tired of not being able to net the little fish properly so I got a new one!

I decided to get the Brodin Ghost Net:  Tailwater Edition
[attachimg=1]

Needless to say, I have been doing my best to break her in right...

This little guy is my first brook on this particular stream and appeared to have almost been nabbed by one of the local inhabitants

[attachimg=2]

I had my eye on this fellow for quite some time.  Every evening for about 2 weeks he would come up and explode on my dry, some time two or three times in a row, and I would go to set the hook and nothing!  I finally got the better of him last week just before dark.

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

Finally, I broke my personal best trouts yet again.  I can honestly say that the Brodin Tailwater will hold a 28" with ease  :D

[attachimg=5]

The Release

[attachimg=6]

I've managed to hook into some larger, but getting them to the net has been needless to say, quite difficult.  That first run can be a killer:  Straightened hooks, broken leader, wrapped around rocks, and run in to trees and under cut banks.  You name it, they have done it!

In all fairness, the Brodin nets are a little pricey, but has been worth every penny!   8)

PS:  Rhody, the Rhodos are looking good and I haven't managed to kill them yet.  I had to pot them since I will most likely being picking up stakes in a year...

There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Woolly Bugger

what a way to break in the new net!  :P
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Dayum. You went for the Cadillac.
I got the Brodin Gallatin Ghost last year and am happy with it. It fits on the back of my vest on wading trips, which is what I do. I love the net.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Beetle

I need a new net.  Where did you get yours?

Nice feesh! 

WRector

Quote from: Beetle on May 24, 2010, 19:24:56 PM
I need a new net.  Where did you get yours?

Great Outdoor in W-S...  I'll sell yah mine for the right price  ;)

Woolly Bugger

Walt carries them too,  ;)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 24, 2010, 19:54:24 PM
Walt carries them too,  ;)

Funny.....I was thinking about Walt today and wondering where he has been.....

diaz dassie

Got my brodin ghost firehole on ebay from some crazy in FL for $40 brand new! Love it and haven't looked back. Awesome net thats light weight and has a neat clip in for my chest pack...

WRector

Quote from: Transylwader on May 24, 2010, 22:46:39 PM
Got my brodin ghost firehole on ebay from some crazy in FL for $40 brand new! Love it and haven't looked back. Awesome net thats light weight and has a neat clip in for my chest pack...

DD What's up with the new handle?

diaz dassie

My email address is getting the better of me, I decided to go with my evil empire name!  8)

tbird4

Dayum, I thought you were just puttin me on you did actually catch some fish.   ;D

WRector

Quote from: tbird4 on May 25, 2010, 13:48:27 PM
Dayum, I thought you were just puttin me on you did actually catch some fish.   ;D

Now brother, you good and well that my fishing tales only get exagerated when I tell them in person  ;D

benflyfishn

hells yeah!! nice trouts to break in the new net!  ;D
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Trout Maharishi

Oh hell yea! That's what we need the manly nets for ;D Not the dinky aquarium nets ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski