At the risk of being an idiot....

Started by Devinsdad, September 14, 2005, 08:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devinsdad

Since this  is my first one of these... would some one please be kind enough to let me know what I should bring to prepare.. I am a newbie camper (sad, I know) I have a tent and sleeping bag (never used more than letting my son play in it) Are there other essentials (fishing gear excluded) I should bring. Heck I don't even know where to fish in that area.
  OK let the onslaught of ridicule begin..... please be gentle..

zzdruid

not an idiot question for me: I have heard "no wheels" and Shane refers to this again. I think I remember that we are in campsite A and the campground info says  it's a tent area.

I ass-um-e that this is the reason for no wheels?  ???

Devinsdad: i'm a newby here also. 
I   hear   we   need   to   beware   of   the   'goat'      ::)  .

Pehaps we chould travel up together?            PM me if this is a possibility.
I could while away the hours, conversing with the flowers, conferring with the rain........ IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN

outdoorguy3

Quote from: zzdruid on September 14, 2005, 09:06:01 AM
I think I remember that we are in campsite A and the campground info says  it's a tent area.

Just to clarify....it's actually campsite B

Ralph ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

phg

The "no wheels" rule is new.  As usual, someone pushed the limits too far, and now we have a rule where common sense used to be enough.  Basically, though, that means no campers, just tents.  Personally, I have no problem with it if you want to sleep in your truck, but we'll leave that to the straw boss (Creek_scum).

What to bring:  Breakfast and supper are provided, along with disposable plates and pastic wear..  Those are the biggies.  ...so bring your lunches,  any snacks you want, preferred beverages, and, of course, your offerings for the goat.  I'm not sure what will be an acceptable offering this year, we may have to ask FT.  In the past, things like 10# of beef jerky, a gallon of good single malt, or enough home made pecan pies to feed 40 ravenous fishermen (and women) were acceptable.  This changes from year to year, though.

You will probably want to bring a lantern, if you have it, and definitely a flashlight, headlamp, or some sort of personal illumination, as it will be getting dark shortly after 7PM.  I would also bring a coffee cup, and, of course, your toiletries.  If your sleeping bag is a good one, it will probably be enough, but expect the temps. to get down into the 40's.  You may want a pad under your sleeping bag, and you will want a jacket for the early mornings, as it can be quite chilly.  This is probably one of your best opportunities to get into camping.  The required individual gear is minimal.

zzdruid

corrected   but incorrigable...
B  it is.

does the goat drink Makers Mark?
I could while away the hours, conversing with the flowers, conferring with the rain........ IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: zzdruid on September 14, 2005, 12:06:00 PM
B  it is.

Goat drinks Single Malt Scotch!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

red-haired-boy

Would the goat be pleased with some good[/i] bourbon (not Makers Mark)? Say Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace?
Sorry, zzdruid I spent to many years living in Kentucky to think Makers is worth the money.
And for a newbie whats the deal with the goat anyway? Or more importantly how do I stay on the goats good side? Are there other offerings that will work like homemade sourdough bread?

Are there any things that are needed for the group, like a big cooler or firewood? Is the food mentioned included in the $25 or do I need to bring somethings to chip in?
On the other board I saw talk of chili being made. I used to be a cook/baker and have a great chili recipe if you need someone to cook it.
Stuart

FlyChamps

Generally ice chests are brought by those bringing the food.  Bring a regular sized one to keep your drinks cold.

Firewood is always appreciated.  This group can burn firewood.

The goat is a single-malt kind of guy but he'll sometimes stoop to Woodford Reserve  ;D

I don't recall cooking assignments being given out yet - the straw boss usually arranges those duties.

Gofisher

Quote from: FlyChamps on September 14, 2005, 14:55:12 PM

I don't recall cooking assignments being given out yet

I think he was referring to the chili that I'll be providing Thursday for the early arrivals.

red-haired-boy

As for chili I don't remember what day it was for, I just remember thinking it was a way I could help.
Stuart

zzdruid

WB>
QuoteGoat drinks Single Malt Scotch!

now I understand the title

flychamps>
QuoteThe goat is a single-malt kind of guy but he'll sometimes stoop to Woodford Reserve

there may be hope yet.

I assume DR Pepper is banned?     I stil like it!

Gary

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 14, 2005, 13:21:25 PM
B  it is.

Goat drinks Single Malt Scotch!

Goat drinks GOOD Single Malt Scotch!

Gary

Good replies so far.

DevinsDad, bring plenty of clothes.  Be prepared for warm weather and cool/cold weather.  We may possibly experience all three.

Bring raingear.  The Psycho Fly Fishers could also be known as "The Drought Busters."

This has been mentioned, but have a pad or air mattress to put under your bedding.  Even if you sleep on a cot, you'll need some kind of insulation other than a sleeping bag underneath you.

Bring a folding chair.

Arky_Dan

Be sure and get far far far away from Howard ....Dan
work is for people who don't know how to fly fish !!!!!!

troutjedi

Don't know about the goat....but the Jedi sure does.  You're a man of good taste, ZZ.  Wish I could be there to find the bottom of that bottle with ya!