News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith- Fri. & Sat.

Started by 5xTippett, April 25, 2010, 16:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I left home and headed to Bassett Friday afternoon.  I had talked to Ralph and I knew he was coming Sat. morning.   I arrived at the river around six. I fished downstream for an hour or so.  Nothing was hatching so I threw beetles and ended up with around 8 fish.  I then went upstream to look for sulphers and saw none.  I threw a sulpher cripple for awhile and caught a few and lost a few more.  I had a room at the Ridgeway Hilton, so I ate supper and went to bed.  I got up the next morning, checked with Ralph and Dean, and headed to the place I had fished Friday.  I fished for awhile and caught some, checked on Ralph and headed on upstream.  I changed beetles and started fishing.  I caught fish more or less for several hours.  I would catch rainbows for awhile and then it would be all browns. I caught fish until I was worn out.  Dean arrived late in the afternoon and we rode downstream to find Ralph.  Dean headed on back and I fished for a little longer while I was waiting for Ralph.  I caught a few more, checked with Ralph and headed for the ride back home.  It was fun and about as good as it gets.  It was good to see Ralph and Dean.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

rjs123

Good to see you got out.  Looks like the fish didnt mind a week with no generation.

Al

I also fished Friday evening. This was the first time I've fished a stream in about 5 months. Caught a ton of fish during that time but they all came from Pechmann Center DH ponds which is different then fishing a stream.

No generation all week but they have been doing a minimum discharge from bottom of dam to keep water chilled and moving. In my opinion the water was 4-6 inches higher then during normal "no generation periods". It was also flowing more then normal and took an effort to move upstream in some of the areas  where the water was channeled into a "run".

Dialed them in and caught a double handful of rainbows and browns. Used my favorite fly with a zebra dropper. About half came to each. Did not see a rise all afternoon.

Was met about half way down my chosen section by local in Kayak.  We chatted and he was not aware of the pending regulation change but said he whole heartily endorsed it. He now practices catch and release (Used to keep them all in his youth) - Also said he sees double limits being harvested on frequent basis. Would like to see more enforcement effort.

Went turkey hunting on Saturday but did not hear or see a thing. Took a fellow SRTU member to my "secret" pond Saturday afternoon and caught a ton of bream and few bass.

Woolly Bugger

way to go guys... i may spring for the trout stamp..
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Al, I would have called you, but I thought you were hunting turkeys all weekend!

dossphoto

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 26, 2010, 09:01:22 AM
way to go guys... i may spring for the trout stamp..

Why do that??  I haven't seen a game warden in the last two years up there!!  They only come in town for the TU meetings and the free food...

But if your luck is like mine....... o-o

Trout Maharishi

I see that Townsend beetle is still working good ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Discomidge

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 26, 2010, 18:25:49 PM

;D...nice report Nub.

Kim 8)

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Discomidge on April 26, 2010, 19:59:32 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 26, 2010, 18:25:49 PM

;D...nice report Nub.

Kim 8)

Can't keep anything from from you.....can we TM! ;)

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Trout Maharishi

I can never leave the house and know most everything worth knowing within a 300 mile radius ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Did you grow that Poncho Via stash for your Mexican girlfriend?
― Charles Bukowski

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 26, 2010, 20:34:40 PM
Did you grow that Poncho Via stash for your Mexican girlfriend?

That, and trying to keep ahead of the bill collectors! :o

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

cypresstrout

"I see that Townsend beetle is still working good" quote from TM.   What the heck is a Townsend beetle?