News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What a difference a day makes...

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 20, 2010, 16:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Headed back up to the Smith for some more dry fly action.

While I rigged up on the water I kept an eye out for risers but was disappointed in not seeing any. I waited and waited, then began casting blindly across the river into the spots they were holding yesterday. Nada!

I moved down the river scoping things out as I went.
Hit the usual spots and couldn't get a rise.
There were midges in the air and an occasional fish would rise but not with any regularity.

I figure it must be that the super cold water has now been running an additional 24 hours and things just weren't the same.

Hunted on the bottom for some clue as to what they might be consuming...

settled on a bwo soft hackle and a jujubee dropper

It was tough and I couldn't get the fish dialed in. Was beginning to smell skunk.
Then I hooked up with a little brown in a deep run.
None of his relatives were interested.

Moved on up to the top of the section and caught the best fish of the day...

Had a beer waiting for me back at the car.

New hangout on the river...

didn't catch many fish, didn't find any money...

but I had a good time despite those things...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

Soooooo, what was the water temp.?  Maybe go later in the day, give the water a chance to warm up some, or head down stream to find warmer water.

That water coming out of the dam is the same temp. as when they generate, only coming in smaller amounts to keep minimum flow and keep the temps down down stream.
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

cold.. i don't carry a thermometer anymore... i've lost 3 and called it quits....  ;hb

I don't buy a Trout Stamp so I stay in the S>R> section... there is a pretty decent flow.. don't know if its above the regular or not...

midges, bwos, and a few sulfurs were coming off the water.. might be better in the evening... but I have to be home by then....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

dossphoto

You should have waited till this evening!!!  Sulfurs were coming off pretty heavy down stream.  Every time a cloud would cover the sun there would be 10 or 15 popping off and the wind was knocking them right back on the water. ;D

Water temp was 56° where I was at! 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: dossphoto on April 20, 2010, 17:03:41 PM
You should have waited till this evening!!!  Sulfurs were coming off pretty heavy down stream.  Every time a cloud would cover the sun there would be 10 or 15 popping off and the wind was knocking them right back on the water. ;D

Water temp was 56° where I was at! 

I'll see if I can't make an afternoon trip... maybe tomorrow... :)
me -There's a season?

diaz dassie

Pretty brown, looks like his wild cuzzies in Wilkes County!