Soho Fishing and Rivers Way, is it worth it?

Started by Platypus, April 16, 2010, 15:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Platypus

Guys looking for your opinions of the Rivers Way set up, if any of you have an opinion on it.  Their water, the concept etc.  I have limited time to fish, like most of you I would assume, and thought this might be a worth while investment for my fishing time. 

patrick_msl

Well worth the money....not to mention its for a good cause. My 2 cents worth.

-Patrick

croaker

Yep.

Good folks, good access to our water and helps a grand cause.

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Stuart R.

Knox, the guy that runs it is a great guy. Stop in and talk to him I think you will agree.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Trout Maharishi

Y'all give me the money and I'll join and take you as my guest ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutist

It is definitely worth it.! The lodge is great and the adjacent private water is excellent. Just as important is that Knox, the mgr, runs this program with the highest professionalism. Of course, don't forget, that this program benefits kids in need. That was a good suggestion to stop by and chat with Knox - its worth your time....

Paul W

flatlander

Do they still limit access to 5 rods at a time?

red-haired-boy

Quote from: Flatlander on April 22, 2010, 15:06:49 PM
I think it is 6 rods which gives everybody plenty of space. People renting the lodge have first access (if memory serves.)

flatlander

Quote from: red-haired-boy on April 22, 2010, 16:49:19 PM
Quote from: Flatlander on April 22, 2010, 15:06:49 PM
I think it is 6 rods which gives everybody plenty of space. People renting the lodge have first access (if memory serves.)

Do the 6 slots fill up pretty quickly on weekends?

red-haired-boy

Quote from: Flatlander on April 22, 2010, 18:55:45 PM

Do the 6 slots fill up pretty quickly on weekends?

I think they do, often from the lodge. Renting the lodge is also a really good deal (especially mid week.)

Having worked with/for nonprofits for years I can tell you that Riversway is very well run and if I were in the position to make a donation to them I would with out reservation (I have volunteered there.) Think of the fishing as bonus for supporting a great cause/organization.
Stuart

River Man

Well worth the money.  I have never been there and not been able to fish because of too many people....plus.....nice boat ramp.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: troutist on April 22, 2010, 15:03:12 PM
It is definitely worth it.! The lodge is great and the adjacent private water is excellent. Just as important is that Knox, the mgr, runs this program with the highest professionalism. Of course, don't forget, that this program benefits kids in need. That was a good suggestion to stop by and chat with Knox - its worth your time....

Paul W

So I can fish the "PRIVATE" adjacent water with a membership?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

red-haired-boy

My experience is that guy won't call the cops on you if you are with River's Way (they ask you to wear a tag thing to prove it) he may say hi.
Board- http://www.riversway.org/about_us/board_of_directors.php

Also you can go to http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/990finder/ and find any nonprofit's tax return.

For questions like who owns the land talk (it is owned by a private charitable foundation) talk to Tom or Knox (contact info on their site). If you're talking about other property then I would think the county clerk would be a good place to check.

I know others have raised questions about them so I'll answer it strait- River's Way is legit charity who does good work helping kids.

As a fisherman your issues are not with them but with other property owners. In fact they are helping the fishing by creating the South Holston Fly Fishing Festival.

Stuart

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: red-haired-boy on April 22, 2010, 20:52:24 PM
My experience is that guy won't call the cops on you if you are with River's Way (they ask you to wear a tag thing to prove it) he may say hi.
Board- http://www.riversway.org/about_us/board_of_directors.php

Also you can go to http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/990finder/ and find any nonprofit's tax return.

For questions like who owns the land talk (it is owned by a private charitable foundation) talk to Tom or Knox (contact info on their site). If you're talking about other property then I would think the county clerk would be a good place to check.

I know others have raised questions about them so I'll answer it strait- River's Way is legit charity who does good work helping kids.

As a fisherman your issues are not with them but with other property owners. In fact they are helping the fishing by creating the South Holston Fly Fishing Festival.

Stuart
I don't really have any issues at this point, but I am curious about some things. BTW, how is having a South Holston FF festival helping the fishing?
― Charles Bukowski

Rivers Way 1

Knox here from River's Way. I surf this site accasionally and happened to run into this thread. First, I'm flattered that many of you think so highly of RW. It's a special place and I'm honored to be a part of it. Second, rarely will anyone not be able to fish because of the 6 rod limit. Our neighbor has been reasonable and tensions at this point are not evident. All fishing club memberships are tax deductible and like others said go directly into supporting RW. We work with over 2000 youth annually from the Bristol area in many capacities, mainly with school groups. Our goal is to use adventure-based programs to help our kids reach higher levels of self-efficacy (self-awareness, resiliency, etc). We are able to do this because we see the majority of students once every 2 weeks throughout the school year....... I just happen to be a fly fisherman, so the combination of a wonderful job and location on the SoHo is beyond ideaal...... The Festival that we're hosting is coming up in June and I'm about to start getting the word out. This event does in will in fact be beneficial to the SoHo and surrounding trout waters because many stewardship/ecological topics will be covered: Dydimo, spawning habitat, TU programs, as well as several other socially-conscious programs such as Proj. Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. Truly a feel-good event with a ton of info for the seasoned angler, too! Thanks, Knox Campbell