News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Watauga DH

Started by NCangler, April 03, 2010, 18:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCangler

Fished the watauga the past 2 days and it has been great. The quantity of fish has been plentiful, but we're pretty hungry for some fatties. My dad and I caught about 100 brooks, browns, and bows starting before 8 and fishing till early afternoon over the 2 days. If you're looking to guaranteed hook some, hit the watauga. Almost every hole has fish in it, plus I'm sure come Monday when they stock it, it will be almost every cast.

Flies used: small pheasants and princes, zebra midge

A side note if anyone can help us. We're looking for some new water that is tougher but rewards some big fish. We don't need any specifics, but we really would like to hook into some big wild browns. If anyone can point us to any river/creek, it would be much appreciated. Thanks and tight lines.

red-haired-boy

Quote from: NCangler on April 03, 2010, 18:11:02 PM
A side note if anyone can help us. We're looking for some new water that is tougher but rewards some big fish. We don't need any specifics, but we really would like to hook into some big wild browns. If anyone can point us to any river/creek, it would be much appreciated. Thanks and tight lines.

Try the South Holston.

NCangler

Quote from: red-haired-boy on April 03, 2010, 18:42:44 PM
Quote from: NCangler on April 03, 2010, 18:11:02 PM

Try the South Holston.

Do you usually float or wade it? We went went a guide before on a float and its was great. Only thing is that we don't have a raft and what we were looking at (NRS or something comparable) wasn't too cheap. That's the river I would want to fish if any...

If you know any places to park and wade, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

red-haired-boy

PM sent
Riversway www.Riversway.org has a lot of great water and is a good place to stay, they're also a pretty good organization (they are worth supporting.)
Stuart

FoulHook

What section of the Watauga were you on?
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

NCangler

Part that hugs 105 and we hit the park some the first day. We had to hike upstream though to get away from the crowds.

FoulHook

Oh yeah, there's always a ton of fish in that section along 105. At least until you're allowed to start keeping DH fish.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

check

Quote from: FoulHook on April 04, 2010, 09:29:36 AM
Oh yeah, there's always a ton of fish in that section along 105. At least until you're allowed to start keeping DH fish.

I'm scheduled to spend the week of father's day on the watauga a mile or so downstream from valle crucis park. It will be only my second time on that river, and the first to fall after dh.

How significant is the drop off just three weeks after folks start keeping their catch?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: check on April 30, 2010, 19:44:58 PM

I'm scheduled to spend the week of father's day on the watauga a mile or so downstream from valle crucis park. It will be only my second time on that river, and the first to fall after dh.

How significant is the drop off just three weeks after folks start keeping their catch?

//?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ASUfisherman

Quote from: check on April 30, 2010, 19:44:58 PM

Make sure you take an extra can of nightcrawlers
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

check

Quote from: ASUfisherman on April 30, 2010, 20:07:23 PM
Make sure you take an extra can of nightcrawlers
:/

ASUfisherman

There will still be fish to be caught... they stock thousands of fish in there, and even with them poachers and  bait chuckers, there should be plenty left for the summer.  Remember, the DH section stops at the 194 bridge which is about a mile below the park...

Also, Fathers day weekend... Bring your own rock!
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

Phil

"I'm scheduled to spend the week of father's day on the watauga a mile or so downstream from valle crucis park. It will be only my second time on that river, and the first to fall after dh."

Forget trout at that time of year (June) on the Watauga DH . That is a joke.  Go downstream, and fish up for smallmouth bass (and suckers ).  ;D