News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

HELP!! On a trip to Montana

Started by patch1, January 26, 2010, 15:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch1

I don't post often but enjoy the forum and learn a fair amount from you guys.  Thank you all.

That said.  I want to go out west to fish for several days.  Having never been and having limited funds, planning the trip will be critical.  Any suggestions on reading, accomodations, guides, etc. would be appreciated.

Woolly Bugger

you can always find a sofa to surf on in Bovegas -- just PM trout Jedi, I'm sure you'll be welcome.. :)

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

When are you planning on going?  Have you narrowed it down to a particular part of MT yet, or specific rivers? 

One thing I would suggest in your planning is to make sure you leave yourself options.  Don't lock yourself in to a plan that dictates that you will be on a specific river on a specific day.  Rivers fish off and on, blow out from storms, or even sometimes close in low-water months.  Leave yourself plenty of options and have a flexible plan that will allow you to take advantage of the best fishing opportunities. 

Have fun...I wanna go too 0--0

patch1

Flexibility will be my middle name.  I'm leaing toward late June for the trip.  Would probably go with my son on his summer break from la school.

Tentatively, I looked at flying into Bozeman, renting  a car and driving over to West Yellowstone.  From the littl reading I've done so far, that seems to make several types of rivers, well-known and off the beaten path, available.

jwgnc

I too use West Y as my base.  If YNP is fishing well - it offfers everything I need.  And you can jump to the Henry's Fork or "Madison outside the Park" very quickly.  (by quickly - I mean around an hour).

I favor http://www.blueribbonflies.com/.  They are in the "1% to the planet" group (environmentally well-well-well- aware).

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

twinbridges

I would suggest the end of June as the earliest as the rivers often blow out about mid June and should be settled down.  If you want to fish the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Jefferson and Ruby, Twin Bridges is a good spot.  1 hr 45 m to West Yellowstone.

Good inexpensive lodging at Stonefly Inn in Twin and they have some great guides.  Website....www.stoneflyinn.com.

It is all good and I am so ready to get in on for 2010!!

patch1

Guys,
      Thanks for the advice!  i think I've settled on a plan.

1. Timing- July 13-18.

2. Lodging - Staying at a place called Driftwaters Resort, which is along the Madison River at Cameron.  Then relocating to Bozeman the latter part of the week.

3.  Fishing the Madison on a float with the Blue Ribbon Flies guides.  Then a day on the Gallatin and Madison in the Park on my own.  Then a day with Rivers Edge Fly Shop on the Yellowstone.  Leaving the final day open to play it by ear on another river or a second day on one I've already seen.

I am about as up for this trip as any travel I've ever done.  I am 58 and taking my 27 year-old son with me.  He's equally excited.  Any additional thoughts re leader size, tippet,etc. from you guys or comment on the tentative plan is welcome

Tight lines.

phg

I didn't respond on the original question, because I've only been there once, but your plan sounds doable.  Just stay as flexible as you can on destinations.

For the rig, that I know.  For the drift trip on the Madison, you'll want a 6wt or 7wt.  You'll be catching 16" to 20" fish, and throwing a good bit of weight in moderately heavy currents. 

For smaller streams in the park, take a 4wt or maybe a 5wt.  I used the same length of leaders and tippets as I would use around here.  I think 5x was the smallest I put on.  The fish are well educated, but not supper spooky.

If you're going to try to fish Henry's Fork in Idaho, that's another story.  Long leaders, fine tippet and delicate presentations... I got skunked on Henry's Fork.  Fish were rising everywhere, and I couldn't connect. o-o