News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Home on the D

Started by FoulHook, April 05, 2010, 21:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoulHook

Home on the D
Spent Easter weekend in Brevard and had Monday off, so headed down to the Davidson, a quick 15 minute drive from my house.  I got to the parking lot at the Hatchery around 9am, rigged up, and headed upstream.  I got on the Davidson River Trail and walked maybe halfway up in an attempt to get away from the heavily pressured fish close to the hatchery.

Grogan Creek?

Once I had the some distance between me and the rest of the folks crowding the hatchery, I got on the water.  First cast produced a wild strike on my sz. 16 green EHK, but the fight ended in a LDR. That was the only action on the EHK, and the BHPT wasn't producing either, so I re-rigged with a brown dry of my own creation with a sz. 22 red/white/black jujubee dropper.  I quickly got a brook on the jujubee, but he escaped before I could get a picture.  However it wasn't long until a rainbow was keen on the jujubee.

Rainbow on the Jujubee

This section of water was fishing well, and would produce some more fish.  The water was clear, the pools were full, and the fish were eager.  This rainbow took the dry.

Rainbow on the dry

Brown on the dry... Would be the last fish for a little while.

As I continued upstream I came across a lot more pools and runs, but the fish all of a sudden seemed turned off.  Guess the hatch of whatever brown mayfly looking bug was over.  It wouldn't be long before I got into tourists playing in the water and doing whatever tourists do.

12+ fish, no takers.  Good place to eat lunch.

After I came across a bunch of tourists and another fisherman, I decided to head back.  Once back at the hatchery I wasn't quite ready to go so I started swinging streamers around, just to see what would happen.  The results weren't bad.

Beast of the day on white woolly bugger.

All in all a pretty good day.  Back to the high country tomorrow.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

blue ridge angler

not a bad day in the back yard.. 0--0

Woolly Bugger

cool, love that upstream pool... wish I lived 15 minutes away... :(
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Yeah, having the D as the back yard is pretty amazing. Very priviledged! Awesome pix dude 0--0