News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Coach K = Best Ever?

Started by troutrus, April 05, 2010, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

We will never have consensus on such a topic, but it would be hard to come up with anyone with a more stellar record of accomplishments as a teacher, motivator, college/olympic coach than Coach K. Win or lose tonight he's still had another great year and a great group of "Student" athletes.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/collegehoop/coaches.html

flatlander

He is undoubtedly a great coach.  That said... GO BUTLER! ;D

streamer

It pains me to talk about Coach Kryzxeprxzpzewski in any other terms than that of Satan with the face of a weasel.

However......I have always admired his skills as a motivator, mentor, and X's and O's coach. I can also appreciate his ability to recruit at Duke, with the academic restrictions that they have. I am a UNC fan, but Coach K is in an elite class with the likes of John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith, Bob Knight, Roy Williams, et al.

Go Butler!

Regards,
Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: streamer on April 05, 2010, 12:38:20 PM
It pains me to talk about Coach Kryzxeprxzpzewski in any other terms than that of Satan with the face of a weasel.

However......I have always admired his skills as a motivator, mentor, and X's and O's coach. I can also appreciate his ability to recruit at Duke, with the academic restrictions that they have. I am a UNC fan, but Coach K is in an elite class with the likes of John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith, Bob Knight, Roy Williams, et al.

Go Butler!

Regards,
Streamer

I pretty much agree with Streamer here.  I bathed in glory for a few weeks this year after the Terps worked his Blue Devils in College Park, Jordan Williams posterized Scheyer, and UMD claimed a regular season co-title...but there's no one out there that does it all like Coach K.  Recruiting, developing players, X & O's, in-game adjustments...okay, I've already made myself sick.  Go Butler.

Silver Creek

How soon folks forget. No even close.

When Coach "K" wins 10 NCAA championships in 12 years and 7 NCAA Championships in a row (1967 to 1973), he can be spoken in the same breath as John Wooden. When he as 4 perfect 30-0 season and wins 88 games in a row he'll be close.

As good as Wooden was as a coach, he was also one of the greatest players of all time. Wooden was inducted in the Basket ball Hall of Fame, as a Player and not a Coach. He was All State in High School 3 straight years, and he was the first college player to be an All American 3 years straight.

No coach comes close to John Wooden's achievements as both a player and a coach.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: Silver Creek on April 05, 2010, 13:29:51 PM

When Coach "K" wins 10 NCAA championships in 12 years and 7 NCAA Championships in a row (1967 to 1973), he can be spoken in the same breath as John Wooden. When he as 4 perfect 30-0 season and wins 88 games in a row he'll be close.

As good as Wooden was as a coach, he was also one of the greatest players of all time. Wooden was inducted in the Basket ball Hall of Fame, as a Player and not a Coach. He was All State in High School 3 straight years, and he was the first college player to be an All American 3 years straight.

No coach comes close to John Wooden's achievements as both a player and a coach.

I was thinking in terms of coaches of this era.  Certainly no one could question Wooden's greatness... but comparing those numbers to anyone coaching in this era is pointless...88 straights wins in basketball?? There's too many competative programs to even consider that a reality...unless we're talking women's college hoops.

He can't be spoken about in the same breath as John Wooden?? That's ridiculous.  And I still can't believe I'm defending coach rat.

troutrus

No doubt UCLA was great, but that's comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking about competing at a high level within the rules, with integrity, playing true student athletes. You're talking about buying the best team money could buy at the time.
http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/college-basketball-history-2009

It amazes me how many Butler fans are out there. Lots of folks like pulling for the underdog I guess.

jwgnc

Yes - Wooden was the best - and he prepared his student athletes well.

The biggest transition problem for Lew Alcindor in going pro was the pay cut.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Silver Creek

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on April 05, 2010, 14:13:49 PM

I was thinking in terms of coaches of this era.  .......

The post title was the "Best Ever". To that I say no way.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

troutrus

As stated in my original post, there will never be consensus on this type of rating. No way to be truly objective when making a comparison of two different eras. Some might use nat'l titles as a measure. In that case, Wooden is best.
But there's more to it.
Coach K:
He holds the NCAA tournament record for winning percentage (.778, 77-22) and is first in tourney history with 77 victories.
He is the first coach to win national championships in three consecutive decades (1991, '92, '01 and '10).
Coach K has more total wins than Wooden.
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/04/dukes-coach-k-best-ever/?boxes=businesschannelsections

phg

Quote from: jwgnc on April 05, 2010, 18:41:35 PM
Yes - Wooden was the best - and he prepared his student athletes well.

The biggest transition problem for Lew Alcindor in going pro was the pay cut.

I had forgotten, until you reminded me, of how dominant UCLA was.  In the late 60's, it was said that the 2 top teams in the NCAA were UCLA's first team and UCLA's second team.  They had so much depth on the team, that Wooden would platoon his team, switching between a run-and-gun full court press to a zone attack/defense on the fly.  Basically, his opponents had to play 2 different teams at the same time, every time they met UCLA.

I also remember Dean Smith's 4-corners offense.  Boring basketball, but he won a lot of games with it.

* It's worth pointing out that Wooden's payoff record was established before the NCAA Tournament expanded beyond 16 teams, so a team only played 4 games.

flyman

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/2/1398649/duke-final-four-2010-ncaa-tournament  ::) Pat Summit has 900+ and counting. Coach K is a creep and I wish they would send him back to NJ were all them Duke loving yankees can have him. He is the most overrated of all time :P
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Creek Scum

You're just pissed because Coach K never had any midgets on his team like Wake did.
you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Waters, Gilmore, Wright and Mason

DJ65

Nope, he's not the best......here's to all the disgruntled UNC Duke haters......2010 NCAA Champs  0--0

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: DJ65 on April 15, 2010, 06:35:13 AM
Nope, he's not the best......here's to all the disgruntled UNC Duke haters......2010 NCAA Champs  0--0

You make one post in 6 months, and look what it's about ;D >:D Congrulations to the team, fork rat boy. There are better coaches toiling away coaching girls basketball at some obscure middle school ;D >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski