News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

NC stream

Started by troutphisher, March 29, 2010, 20:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the T&T rod today, it's been a while and I wanted to fish it again.
The weather was perfect, slightly overcast, and a little breezy. The water is still running high, and was crystal clear. The water temp was right at 46 degrees.

Arriving on the water at 10:30 am, I watched for insects, and noticed a great bwo hatch. I watched several naturals drift down a seam and get sipped. They were larger bwo's size 16, and I had plenty of them in my box.
I tied several up before I left so I decided to use them. They have a biot body fibett split tails and a cdc wing tied compara style.

I fished a 9ft 6x tapered leader, and tied on another 3ft of 6x mono tippet.
The currents and seams were much better defined then recent days, so mono was the order for the day. I was casting across 3 distinct seams, trying to get to the farthest one, and needed a drag free drift while mending.

I watched a rise and targeted the fish, made the cast just upstream of the rise and watched the drift, when it got to the seam, the fish sipped it and the fight was on, this fish bolted almost as soon as I set the hook. I ad extra line out, and let it slip through my fingers until the fish was on the reel. I set the reel to the lightest drag setting and it screamed.
Hardy reels have a sound like no other, they almost wine at high pitch.

I got the fish to the net and it was a nice hooked jawed brown, with deep colors, and a buttery yellow belly.

I spent the rest of the day, targeting rises and having a blast catching rainbows and browns, who fought hard in the slack water.

The rises were simple sips, then hard runs to the fast currents.

Thanks again AL (absales) for selling me this rod and reel. It really is a great all around rod, both nymphing and dry fly fishing, and damn fun to fish.

Here are a few pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

rjs123

Beautiful fish!!!!!!!!

blue ridge angler

FoulHook

I don't know how you do it... Seems like everyday it's a handful of big fish...
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Trout Maharishi

I was thinking it would be good today, looks like it. Suckage again, and again, and again, and again 0--0
I think he's using bait Foulplayed ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

damnation, i shoulda  been there... will shoot for tomorrow...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

mecnc

Nice fish I need to get out.

rjs123

I was just thinking that these fish could swallow any of the fish I caught today in one gulp.  Way to go! 0--0

flatlander

Healthy looking feeshes, TP 0--0

benflyfishn

great report as always    0--0  Jonesing for my next trip to fish  :'(
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

troutphisher

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 29, 2010, 22:02:44 PM
I was thinking it would be good today, looks like it. Suckage again, and again, and again, and again 0--0
I think he's using bait Foulplayed ;D

But Busta wants to fish.........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

FoulHook

Quote from: troutphisher on March 30, 2010, 07:39:04 AM
But Busta wants to fish.........

Ain't no good if it ain't Hills Bros.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

diaz dassie

Does TP stand for:
Trout Pellet?
Thickener Purina?
Thirsty punter?
Gimme a glimmer... ;D