Where to find tying supplies?

Started by ASUfisherman, February 17, 2010, 16:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASUfisherman

I usually try to support some local shops when buying tying supplies, but right now most shops around here are pretty dry.  I've looked around on the web a bit, but was wondering if there were any good websites ya'll would suggest for buying tying stuff.
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

WRector

Check out Walt at EZFlyfish.com....  Great customer service and usually ships out within a couple of days... Assuming he has what you are looking for in-stock.   10% discount if you use the BRFFF promotional code! 

Another source is Davidson River Outfitters.  Between the two of them, they should have just about anything you need.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

phg

DRO does have an excellent selection of tying materials, but I only get over that way once a year.  I've never been in Walt's shop, it's just too far out of my way.  My local flyshop is the Orvis store in Raleigh, and I do buy things there when they have what I want, but no matter how much you want to support your local flyshops, sooner or later you are going to want/need something they don't carry at a price you're willing to pay. 

When that happens, you start looking online.  Since this isn't the "high rent" district we can name names.  Over the years, most of us have found Hook & Hackle to be a reliable supplier.  It changed hands a couple of years ago, but the new owner has maintained the same high standard of customer service, and has added some excellent product lines.  Their Euro Thread is nearly as good as Bennicci, their H&H Hackles are well worth the price, and the H&H flyline meets or exceeds customer expectations.

I also like the service I get from JStockard and FeatherCraft for general flytying and rod building supplies.  Of course, I have a list of more specialized dealers when I'm looking for specialized threads, bustard feathers, bamboo poles, exotic skins and the like.

The big problem with online dealers is that the shipping/handling charges can add significantly to the cost, and you wind up padding our order with things you could get anywhere to justify the costs.  Try not to spread your business out too thinly....

tbird4

Quote from: WRector on February 17, 2010, 16:54:00 PM
Check out Walt at EZFlyfish.com....  Great customer service and usually ships out within a couple of days... Assuming he has what you are looking for in-stock.   10% discount if you use the BRFFF promotional code! 

Another source is Davidson River Outfitters.  Between the two of them, they should have just about anything you need.
x2 on EZflyfish great service and ships quick

overbrook

I used to use a whole host of "mail order" places as well as stopped in every fly shop I could on the road....but Josh AKA Supafly is working at DRO now...and they will probably get the bulk of my buiseness now that I finally have someone who can give me that personalized service over the phone.....he knows me...and knows what I like...so I trust him when placing an order.....If I have to order somewhere else...its usually the "flyshop" ,Kaufmann's or feathercraft for most of my needs.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

In addition to those already mentioned...
I get some ggod stuff  outta Overbrooks highly organized bags and boxes   :j
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

ASUfisherman

Thanks for the advice.  I ordered from Walt at ezflyfish.com after the suggestion on this thread and others. 
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

overbrook

Quote from: croaker on February 19, 2010, 19:55:10 PM
In addition to those already mentioned...
I get some ggod stuff  outta Overbrooks highly organized bags and boxes   :j

just don't ask for pearl core braid  >:D

jwhop3

A great alternative to paying shipping costs for online purchases is to go to your local Orvis shop and ask if they'll do a "green order." Most will post an order through their nearest warehouse, and mine here in Roanoke will even ship directly to your mailing address at no extra charge.

I used to think Orvis was a bit more pricey than other sources, but after Sportsmans Warehouse closed shop, and Gander Mountain doesn't keep anything in stock, they are cheaper than J. Stockard if you factor in shipping costs. Look for some that offer free shipping after $100 and order in bulk, or pool you order with other tyers or sportsmen you might know.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

Rhody

woolly-you ever try any pheasant or starling skins from fly tying furs? wondered what you thought of them if you did

thanks
rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Get Bent

Did I hear good customer service and Walt in the same sentence :laugh:  Wally's a good guy, just kidding! Yeah he does have a good selection, also check with Dave at Casters in Hickory. Most shops don't carry everything, so you have to shop around...
Konichiwa Bitches!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rhody on September 17, 2010, 09:38:07 AM
woolly-you ever try any pheasant or starling skins from fly tying furs? wondered what you thought of them if you did

thanks
rhody

got a whole pheasant skin from them it was very nice until the dog got a hold of it...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

laughing with you, i love my dogs, but they love them some feathers and tying materials more than i do
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Richard

We have a broad selection of tying materials and are open late Tues-Fri.  Just call or email a list and happy to ship if we have it.  No set shipping fee. If we can stick it in an envelope with a stamp, we'll do that as well. 
Richard
carolinamountainsports.com