News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Florida in January

Started by rjs123, January 04, 2010, 11:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Ill be heading for Safety Harbor on Old Tampa Bay later this week. Ill be staying there for a month or more.

Can anyone here give me any tips on wading?  Im not sure what to expect.

Ill fish for anything that swims but hope to get into some redfish and trout.

Ive already got some info on where to go and what to use but was wondering if anyone here in BRFFF has fished this area in the winter.

rjs123

Well Ive been here for 4 days now and have not been able to get the fly rod out. IT has been cold and very windy.  I said that even though it was cold down here it would be warmer than it was at home. Well, it has been but but not by much. Today it was finally 70 degrees.  Up till now it has been at or below freezing every night for almost 2 weeks.  From what Ive been reading there hasnt been a cold spell that has lasted this long since the 70s.  A lot of snook have died and Ive seen a lot of dead ones.

It is warming though but I have an event to do this coming week.  I may not be able to fly fish till next week but I plan to stay till the middle of February. Hopefully the warm weather will last for a little while and the fish will be more active when Im done with my event.

fly4u

Hey Bob, I took care of the Smith for you this past Sunday afternoon, Well not really, It was cold at the canoe ramp......When out of the sun I had ice in my guides and I hit a rock around 5:00 and fell in. After the shock of the cold rush and wet rag wool I just walked straight out and came home.  Hope you get the limit, See you on the Smith.
" Thank You For Your Support "