News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Snow stream

Started by troutphisher, December 19, 2009, 18:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC today. I knew when I left this morning is was going to be challenging, and it would only get worse as the drive progressed. I started out at 9:00am, and headed up route 26. I knew from the news reports Asheville airport had reported around 10" of snow, but I decided to head out anyway.

Driving up 26 was a joke, I counted 28 cars in ditches some wrecked, police everywhere, I managed to maneuver around the wrecks, and made it to a stands still, another semi, car collision......

I drove on the shoulder got around them and turned off on 64 west, that was not much better, they had not plowed the road, so it was tough driving, no more than 20 the whole way, and again a couple of wrecks.

When I got the the Forrest entrance, I knew this was going to be tough, only a single vehicle track in the snow, and slippery. I made it up to the ranger station, where a tree was down across the road, and no way around it, so I back tracked and parked outside the park, and hiked in about a half mile to get to the place I could fish.

The water was running high and gin clear, but the scenery was awesome, white snow covered everything, and the water rushing through made it perfect.
Nothing big today, lots of small wild bows, and a couple of small browns.

Glassfisher was going to meet me up on the water but never made it past 64 on 26. To many wrecks, and traffic stopped for miles.

Hopefully tomorrow, we can meet up and fish up stream if the road is open.
It was a pretty good day none the less.

Here are some picks of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

dat'shard core, ya could gots got yo' madness ass stuck
what 'chew thinking man?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

jwgnc

Ya got one.  Might be fly fisher of the day!!
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

fishhunterphil

Heroic AND impressive report! 

flynhokies

that looks amazing (in a i'm inside with the heat on sitting at my computer kinda way)
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

glassfisher

Wish I coulda joined you.  After 2 hours I was only halfway up there before I turned around and went back home.  It wasn't that the road was that bad, it was all the other ass-hats on the road.   o-o

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:  If you drive a Prius or some other 55 MPG little go-cart, for the love of God please don't drive it in the snow.  I saw-em all over today.  Most of em were either passing me in the unplowed lane or on the side of the road in pieces.   >:( 

Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: glassfisher on December 19, 2009, 23:13:05 PM
it was all the other ass-hats on the road.   o-o

that combined with Black Mountain were the main reasons I stayed at home....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!