News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Frigid fishing

Started by troutphisher, December 12, 2009, 20:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Keith and I decided to fish a mountain stream in western NC today.
It's one of my favorite streams. I wanted to get there early but, had a issue with work that I had to resolve before I could head out, so I got a late start about 9:00am, but made it to the water right at 10:15.

Keith was already fishing when I arrive, with air temps hovering right at 30, the water temp was a cool 38, and crystal clear. Keith had already had some hook ups and a few fish before I got started, so I had some ground to make up.

I rigged up a red midge size 20, dropped off a black zebra midge size 18, and fished a section just above Keith. It was slow at first, then Keith got out to take a break from the cold water, and I fished his run. It wasn't long before I was into some fish and fighting hard running rainbows.

Keith and I would switch out every couple of fish, and had a blast catching brilliantly colored rainbows, with deep rose cheek plates, and sides.

Keith hooked into a huge rainbow, all of 24" and fought the fish hard. I moved down to get in position to net the fish, and when I could get my net near it, I knew it was going to be challenging, this fish was much larger than my net, so I backed off, and let the fish run some more. I thought the fish was pretty near worn out, and told Keith to pull it into the slack water, and when Keith tried to pull it, it broke off, and swam away slowly.

It was a good fight, one that would have made my day regardless of bringing to net.

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching more rainbows, and a couple of browns. The browns were in full color, deep spots, and butter yellow bellies.

We talked about the flies, and switch up to try a few different patterns, some grey, some light some dark. We caught fish on almost every pattern we tried. Around 3:00 there was a sporadic bwo hatch, and some fish rising, so I switch to a size 20 dry and could get a rise. I even tried a size 30 olive midge dry when I saw fish sipping, but still could not get a rise.

I switched back to fishing nymphs and pupa, and had a few more fish before it was to dark to see, and packed up for the car. Keith had already packed up his gear and was waiting with some scotch, and oh was it good.

The scotch went down smooth, and warmed the bones, while we conversed about the days fishing.

It was a great day to be out on the water, the fishing was excellent, and the hooks ups good.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Woowee would have caught that fish if he had a real reel instead of that brown teeth stained limey hippie crap >:D and ya'll do know that they make bigger nets ;D >:D I bit the bullet after watching 3 or 4 large ones swim away :P
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jwgnc

Congratulations on a great day.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

rjs123

Nice fish!  Congrats on getting out and getting some.

Woolly Bugger

yeah, what he said...

hooked into 4 or 5 torpedoes and at least one nuclear powered sub....

all were "too hot to handle" no error on my part...

i'll post some pics if / when I locate my camera...

aarggg...

I've been looking for that damn camera for over an hour now...

This is going to be one un happy bugger if I've lost it.....

arggggg o-o
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Let me know Woowee if there is a problem with the camera. I have a friend that works at the Wildlife Center and fishes almost every Sunday. I'm sure she would check if I called her tonight or in the morning,
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 12, 2009, 23:02:44 PM
Let me know Woowee if there is a problem with the camera. I have a friend that works at the Wildlife Center and fishes almost every Sunday. I'm sure she would check if I called her tonight or in the morning,

I took it out to take a picture of the "Green Worms" at the BP station. They either didn't have the green kind or they really aren't' green. Anyway I remember the camera being on the front seat after that (and I called them just to make sure.) Might have thrown it out with the trash when I got home.... some sunlight tomorrow might shed light on the situation... It's just driving me nuts right now....

self-medication...  and worry about it tomorrow...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 12, 2009, 23:08:01 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 12, 2009, 23:02:44 PM

I took it out to take a picture of the "Green Worms" at the BP station. They either didn't have the green kind or they really aren't' green. Anyway I remember the camera being on the front seat after that (and I called them just to make sure.) Might have thrown it out with the trash when I got home.... some sunlight tomorrow might shed light on the situation... It's just driving me nuts right now....

self-medication...  and worry about it tomorrow...

Kids... okay I'm about 99.9% certain that my daughter "borrowed" the camera for a while and now I 'found' it.

me -There's a season?

5xTippett

Woolly, I have 3 daughters off at college.  When they were in high school they borrowed my stuff all the time.  Now that they are in college there is nobody to blame stuff on, other than my wife, and I am not stupid enough to try that. ;D

Woolly Bugger

I lost a lot of big fish today, several over 24" for sure. Not my best day of landing fish but a great number of heart stopping hookups that leave you with a rush of adrenaline after the line goes slack....

Missed three in a row with TP's midge rod.. too wimpy for me to set the hook with I guess.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ice in the guides, watching TP fish...

Ahhh... hot coffee streamside.......

bending the boo...

rich, robust bow...

TP's Kype jaw bow.

bugger's bow

jr. kype..

end of the day as it started: ice in the guides....
me -There's a season?

flynhokies

great report guys...ataway to not let the cold best yall.   0--0
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

brownhunter

I tell you what fella's, those are some great fish  ;hb The pics aren't too shabby either  ;)

Glad you were able to get out and share with the rest of us  0--0
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

on a very sad side note the Glenmorangie 15 year old Scotch has been discontinued. I may just cry.

me -There's a season?

blue ridge angler

looks like a good time...
hot coffee streamside is almost as good as cold beer streamside..