News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Pretty Cool, Pretty Neat --- The Lost World of Mr. Hardy!

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 09, 2009, 09:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Once upon a time people made things with their hands, beautiful, intricate items like cane fishing rods and exotic salmon flies. One company did this best and were loved the world over; Hardy's fishing tackle was adored by royalty, maharajas and film stars alike. Their attention to detail and quality brought fulfilment and pride to a work place where whole generations of families worked together. Now this has all but gone and we live in a world of mass production, globalisation and outsourcing. But do we miss those days? Is there something special about the pride and feel of the handmade that reflects a deeper need in our everyday life?

Watch the trailer
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfreak

I think there is some pride and feel in owning something handmade that makes it just a little more special than something that is mast produced.  As my dad told me once, when you get a little older you will learn to appreciate handmade equipment and the feel they bring to you.  He was right.....the hardy reel (made somewhere around 1950) I have used, I say used, because he never gave it to me, is quiet special.  I guess what I am saying is it means a little more to me when I catch a fish using it than any other reel.  Sentimental yeah, good quality that last forever, yeah....There ya go!

trouthead

Cool Trailer. It's tempting to buy the DVD. Hardy rods & reels are definitely sweet. I have a Hardy lightweight reel made in the '60s that I bought used. There is something to be said for quality.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutfreak

I was thinking an early christmas present or something!  jis sayin'