News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

hippie beer, bamboo & in'gin fish

Started by troutphisher, November 28, 2009, 21:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Glassfisher and I decided we needed a to fish different waters, so in light of the recent holidays we decided to pay homage (and fishing rights) to our Indian brethren, of the Cherokee nation club.

We headed out at 8:00am knowing the temperatures would still be freezing, but hoped for the warm up by the time we hit the water. Arriving on the water at 9:30am, the air temp was a cool 38 and the water temp was right at 46.
The water was flowing high and crystal clear, which made for some interesting fishing.

We started at a spot that had a good riffle section, that tails off to a slow run.
I started the day fishing a prince nymph weighted, with yellow biots for the tail and wings, and dropped a size 22 bwo emerger and fished a good riffle, but not takes. I noticed some midges coming off, and forming clouds near the bank, so I switched the bottom fly to a Rojo midge size 18. That was the ticket and Glass soon followed dropping a red and black midge.

We laid waist to some big rainbows in this run all morning, having a blast fighting the fish in the string currents. Glass hooked into a big rainbow that took him into the backing before snapping off in the fast pocket water. It was a good fight and the sound of the hardy reel screaming was perfect.

Soon after Glass hooked into another big rainbow that fought him hard, but this time the battle was one by glass, and he soon had the fish to net.
I snapped a quick picture and we release the fish.

It was one of those mornings where everything clicks and the fishing was non stop. We decided to move to another section of water and have a beer.
We split a big bottle of Black Orchard Belgian ale, that was superb.

After the beer, we moved down stream to a spot we haven't fished, but looked promising, long riffles with deep pools. Glass headed down stream and I headed up stream. I found a spot that looked good, a deep wide section, with a good current for drifting nymphs.

I was soon into big rainbows again, when Glass found his way up stream to see how the fishing was, when he saw the fishing, he joined in just above me.

I made a cast near the head of the current and worked the drift down to the tail out, when the indicator slammed down hard, I set the hook and was fighting a big golden freaker trout. Soon glass was into some nice fish including a big brown, again we were hammering them.

At the end of the night, glass hooked into one more rainbow that fought hard and dogged the bottom like a brown, I made an attempt to net the fish, but it spooked and peeled more line making a hard run. When glass netted the fish, we were both surprised at the colors and white tipped fins, this fish looked like a wild rainbow nearly perfect with our a mark on it, and fought like a wild bow.

It was  perfect way to end the day, and we decided to hike out while there was still enough light to see the trail.

We finished the day with some home brew, that was excellent, a honey amber color, with a hint of oak, and butter nut.

It was one of those rare days when the fishing, was non stop and the fish were all good size.

Here are a few picks of the day.

PS. If you don't like hippie beer, no problem........go fuck yourself.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Suckage ;D Did you hold the duck's wings for glassfisher? I need to fish with him more often, he always has the good hippie beer. Not that canned crap :angel:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

rjs123

Great report and NICE fish!

Oh.... the beer looks good too  0--0

Woolly Bugger

good choice, Bkatz sore lipped all of the fish in the petting zoo...

hippie beer, pint glasses, and goldfish = major suck
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

We were sitting on the tailgate drinking "hippie beers" after the sun went down and there were cars flying up and down the road.  I noticed what looked like a deer stepping out of the woods in front of a car (although it coulda been the hippie-beer f-in with my head   :o).  Good thing the driver saw it and stopped because it was a a herd of elk crossing the road a few yards away from us.  Damn great way to end the day.   0--0
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Beetle

Nice reports!  Glad someone got out.  I went to a funeral- it was a blast too!!  sigh........

Hey- are there any non-alcoholic hippie beers??  Are there any non-alcoholic beers period that don't suck?   (please don't say Kaliber...it is fukking awful)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on November 29, 2009, 09:42:56 AM
Nice reports!  Glad someone got out.  I went to a funeral- it was a blast too!!  sigh........

Hey- are there any non-alcoholic hippie beers??  Are there any non-alcoholic beers period that don't suck?   (please don't say Kaliber...it is fukking awful)

Low Alcohol beer can be well crafted but the Non-alcohol beers do suck

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27beer.html

Try a Clausthaler Golden Amber and let me know what you think...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

I'm uncertain as to what would qualify a beer as a hippie beer, and asking one's opinion of their favorite beer is comparable to asking what strike indicator is best or which 5 wt should I buy  ??? . Someone's favorite can be the disdain of others due to personal taste.
With that said, I've tried a number of the NA beers including Clausthaler and my favorite thus far has been St Pauli Girl NA.