went fishing -- shoulda stayed home??

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 28, 2009, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I'm reading Harry Middleton's The Bright Country, and I along with Harry suffer from addiction to fly fishing. The weather reports indicated a nasty day on the Davidson, so I was in no hurry to get up there. I got out of the house by 7:30 and two and a half hours later I was pulling into a crowded parking lot. Although there was some snow on the mountain peaks there was none here and the sun was shining. I hiked on down the trail and discovered Bkatz and Larry fishing in the petting zoo. I discovered that I didn't have my lanyard with tippet and nippers, so I hoofed it back up to the car. No deal, must have left it at home. I put on a new leader, must have been a 12 foot 6x. Way too long for nymphing with the Battenkill. I cut it back some and split the tippet to make a nymph dropper rig. Then I hiked on back down to Bkatz and borrowed his nippers to trim things up. He offered a spare pare and spool of Frog's Fluoro 5x. I was in business. Or so I thought.

I must have left my mojo at home too, or perhaps it was the bright sunny conditions but I couldn't find the fish. In the mean time Larry and Bkatz were tearing them up.

Bryan offered up his run and I stepped up to the plate. But I was distracted by our conversation and the haunting feeling of someone standing behind me. I missed a couple of fish before finally connecting with a fat fourteen incher.

Later I somehow managed to loose a case of Umpqua Shot, and the Frog's hair Tippet! 

Sally was with us and she was a little unsettled, she kept running off to great hikers on the trail and campers setting up their camp. She came back and sat down, but then she was gone. I went looking for her, that would be perfect, to loose the dog in the forest. But she was in the picnic area by the parking lot.

I caught a few more fish up by the bridge, but never got things dialed in. I'm blaiming this on the clear warm weather, forgetting my stuff, dealing with a 'modified' leader and general alignment of the stars along with the late start....

Good day fishing, not so good catching...  just call me Woodrow........
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Dammmmmmmmmm......................you were luck you made it back home in one piece :o
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Oldman

Dang WB, even your dog knew better than to fish. Smart dog.

Rhody

had a tough day on the big d myself. i fished lower down, and with the bright sun, just had trouble gettin em dialed in, and even finding fish too. funny, i thought to myself on the river that i should make a woodrow post, no fish in this river. o-o

then, saw a splash, went to a rojo midge dropper trailing a griffith's (after getting excited and putting 2 rigs in the rhodo next to the splash), and bam nice 14" bow. picked up 2 more, almost back to back and then it was time to meet the wife back at the car at the trailhead. had a terrrapin india brown ale and a peanut butter sandwich and life was good, slept all the way home.

sorry, no woodrow here,but almost.......... 0--0

rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Woolly Bugger

damn, you get your wife to drive you home!! f'ing a!
me -There's a season?

glassfisher

You know what they say about the worst day fishing... at least you got to spend the day on the water.  The fish were probably still put down after you caught them all last weekend while TP and I were both having a slow day.  karma   ;D
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

troutphisher

Even a slow day fishing is better then no fishing.......good one woowe.... 0--0
As far as forgetting gear.....I am the king in that world..... ;D

Yesterday, while hiking back to the car, I was pissed because I thought I lost a pair of rag wool finger gloves, I searched the bank and retraced my steps, all for a $14.00 dollar pair of gloves, calling myself a dumb ass and blaming the  hippie beer for my forgetfulness.

When we arrived at the car, low and behold the gloves were in the cargo net...........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

LivinOnTheFly

I had a similar day on the D last week. Donated several flies to the bushes.
Not at the table Carlos!

diaz dassie

No day at the office compares to being on the river. Drove 3 hours to Bullhead yesterday and was almost skunked.Back in Raleigh about to go watch my beloved Panthers get their asses whipped...