News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

My best Brown to date on the Smith today!

Started by rjs123, November 24, 2009, 17:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trouthead

In theory you could land a marlin on a one weight with the right tippet. Why don't you give that a try and tell us how it works for you Ralph. I'll admit that I could be blaming the rod for break offs. I couldn't have been hungover or having an off day. Anyways, I'll I'm saying is that I prefer a 5 wt. on the tailwaters most of the time. It's has enough backbone to not exhaust the fish but yet you still get a good fight. I still use the 3 wt. for dry fly work at times. Thanks for posing such a deep question Ralph. Once again, great fish Robert!

outdoorguy3

Quote from: trouthead on December 01, 2009, 08:55:12 AM
In theory you could land a marlin on a one weight with the right tippet. Why don't you give that a try and tell us how it works for you Ralph. I'll admit that I could be blaming the rod for break offs. I couldn't have been hungover or having an off day. Anyways, I'll I'm saying is that I prefer a 5 wt. on the tailwaters most of the time. It's has enough backbone to not exhaust the fish but yet you still get a good fight. I still use the 3 wt. for dry fly work at times. Thanks for posing such a deep question Ralph. Once again, great fish Robert!

troutdick,
Your reply didn't address my orinigal question of what factor the rod might play in the fish breaking off once the fish is hooked.  You originally stated that you fish a 5wt now to prevent break offs you were having using a 3wt.

The breaking point of 5X tippet is the same on a 3wt. rod as it is on a 5 wt. rod.  I understand how using a rod that is too heavy for the tippet size could cause break offs, but I'm confused how going from a 3 wt. rod to a 5 wt. rod using the same size tippet could make a difference.

I won't even bother to commet on your marlin on a 1 wt. remark.

As far as being hung over on the stream, that sounds like your  problem not mine.

Ralph

Life's about havin' FUN!!!

trouthead

OK Mr. Personality. Since we're down to name calling, I'll try to answer your question and hopefully end this discussion. (Of course you'll have to make an insulting reply first) My reasoning is that as the time that a fish is played increases so does the probability that something will go wrong i.e. the fish drags your tippet over a sharp rock or whatever. Therefore if a 5 wt. can play a fish faster than a 3 wt. That chance of something going wrong decreases. You'll probably argue that this isn't a true break off. But the point is the longer you play the fish the more likely you are to lose him. That's my opinion. I'm sure you'll tell me why it's wrong.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

Quote from: trouthead on December 01, 2009, 11:56:32 AM
OK Mr. Personality. Since we're down to name calling, I'll try to answer your question and hopefully end this discussion. (Of course you'll have to make an insulting reply first) My reasoning is that as the time that a fish is played increases so does the probability that something will go wrong i.e. the fish drags your tippet over a sharp rock or whatever. Therefore if a 5 wt. can play a fish faster than a 3 wt. That chance of something going wrong decreases. You'll probably argue that this isn't a true break off. But the point is the longer you play the fish the more likely you are to lose him. That's my opinion. I'm sure you'll tell me why it's wrong.

My Thoughts are this, it's not the rod that catches the fish, it's the person that's holding the rod.  It's not the rod that plays the fish, it's the person that's holding the rod.
You can land a fish just a quickly with a three weight rod as you can a 5 wt. rod, if you know how to play and land a fish.

Merry Christmas !

Ralph   0--0

absales

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on December 01, 2009, 19:46:14 PM
Quote from: trouthead on December 01, 2009, 11:56:32 AM

My Thoughts are this, it's not the rod that catches the fish, it's the person that's holding the rod.  It's not the rod that plays the fish, it's the person that's holding the rod.
You can land a fish just a quickly with a three weight rod as you can a 5 wt. rod, if you know how to play and land a fish.

Merry Christmas !

Ralph   0--0

Of course you are right Rafe, the amount of tension you can apply to tire the fish is controlled by the tippet size, if you have small tippet then you are limited by that - not the rod size. If, however, you have large tippet you can horse the fish because you don't have to worry about break-off. The larger rod is handier for this, although you can do some heavy hoisting with a 3 wt if you aren't afraid of breaking the rod.

The idea that you can play a fish faster with a large rod and fine tippet is ludicrous.

jis sayin...........

I wish I knew what I thought I knew 50 years ago.

trouthead

QuoteYou can land a fish just a quickly with a three weight rod as you can a 5 wt. rod, if you know how to play and land a fish.

You're absolutely right. You might also argue that pigs fly and water runs uphill.

Merry Christmas!

outdoorguy3

Quote from: trouthead on December 02, 2009, 08:58:39 AM
QuoteYou can land a fish just a quickly with a three weight rod as you can a 5 wt. rod, if you know how to play and land a fish.

You're absolutely right. You might also argue that pigs fly and water runs uphill.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks.   ;D

Ralph   0--0

Really nice Smith River fish Robert.  Hope to meet you tomorrow at the meeting.

Shane

That's the nicest fish I've seen in a while on the Smith. That's awesome. Congratulations.

S

9ft4wt

That is a nice brown for any river. Glad to see the Smith is giving up a few big ones. Nice job.

9ft4wt

5xTippett

That is a beautiful fish, Robert!  Hope to see you tonight.

Ham

Nice fish! Congratulations!  ;D

I know it's a little late but I haven't been on in a while.