News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WWII in HD

Started by Beetle, November 18, 2009, 22:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle

Anybody watching this?   I'm a WWII junkie so I have been watching almost all of it.  Some unbelievable footage from both Europe and the Pacific.  I've always said that every American should be forced to go see the cemetaries in Normandy to understand what it really means to be an American.   This series would be a good primer for that. 

FYI- HBO has a new mini-series called The Pacific coming out next spring.  Directed by Tom Hanks.

Get Bent

Quote from: Beetle on November 18, 2009, 22:30:17 PM
Anybody watching this?   I'm a WWII junkie so I have been watching almost all of it.  Some unbelievable footage from both Europe and the Pacific.  I've always said that every American should be forced to go see the cemetaries in Normandy to understand what it really means to be an American.   This series would be a good primer for that. 

FYI- HBO has a new mini-series called The Pacific coming out next spring.  Directed by Tom Hanks.

Hells yeah I am watching it, I have been DVR'ing it.... Good stuff... I bet The Pacific will rock, since TH is directing it.. Band of Brothers rocked too.

I almost got a chance to see Normandy and participate in a annual jump re-enactment they do over there when I was in the Military, but as luck would have it, the funding wasn't there for that trip, plus my CO was a D-bag at the time. However some of my friends got to see it the year before, and said the locals will invite you in their houses feed ya and so on... They say its a blast jumping some of the same DZ's, and a sobering moment to see the cemeteries...

Now that is what being an American is all about...

R
Konichiwa Bitches!

Woolly Bugger

Watchin it along with my buddies from Kwaj, we were surprised to see color footage of the battle for Kwajalein!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Quote from: Beetle on November 18, 2009, 22:30:17 PM

I meant to call you back yesterday and ask you if you had been watching this.  The footage is sort of eerie, isn't?  Makes the war seem so recent.

Al

I am taping the series and will watch as soon as deer season is over. (Maybe I should download to an I-pod and watch while on stand ::))

Not sure we could do all that stuff today - We certainly could not do it if we had 24-7 news coverage like we do today.

flatlander

Quote from: Al on November 19, 2009, 08:00:07 AM
Not sure we could do all that stuff today - We certainly could not do it if we had 24-7 news coverage like we do today.

If WWII happened today...the western US would be speaking Japanese.

tbird4

Yeah, awesome footage!  I bet that series will be good. Yep, band of brothers rocked I have watched it I don't know how many times.

Rog 1

My Dad fought in the Pacific theater for almost 4 years as an artillery lieutenant/captain in the Americal Division....he died last Christmas at 92 years of age...while watching this show this week it makes me feel proud to have had a father that was willing to sacrifice all that he had at such a time....