[attach=4]
caught em in the am

[attach=5]
caught em in the pm

[attach=6]
caught littlens too
haba nice dey!

flynhokies

sweet pics dood...looks like a great 4 months. that boat is the shit, great work.
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

flatlander

Let's see some more pictures of your boat...looks like you did a nice job on it.

twinbridges

Most excellent. Four month wandering around Montana is a good thing, a very good thing!!  Sounds like you fished and fished and your boat is a knockout.  did you give it a couple of good whacks on big boulders?

Good stuff.

JB

Boat is down for a little interior redo.  I'm going to add pedestal seats, rod holders, raised oar locks, and bring the front casting deck back (ain't figgered that out yet).  Should be back fishing it  ... er, later.

[attach=1]
haba nice dey!

twinbridges

It is a question as to how high the casting braces should be.  If you always stand up to fish mid thigh is very secure.  If you sit some to fish then that is in the way.  I like to stand up and it feels much better and safer to have them a bit higher so if god forbid you really do hit something unexpected you are a lot less likely to take the flying leap from the boat..

flatlander

Quote from: JB on November 12, 2009, 21:19:45 PM
Boat is down for a little interior redo.  I'm going to add pedestal seats, rod holders, raised oar locks, and bring the front casting deck back (ain't figgered that out yet).  Should be back fishing it  ... er, later.

[attach=1]

What's the construction of this boat, JB?  Did you finish out a molded fiberglass hull?  Don't see any ribs, which would be helpful moving the casting deck aft...maybe you could install a pair forward to support the deck.

JB

It's glassed marine plywood, a stitch and glue construction, no ribs needed. The sides, other than the chines, are not stressed much.  I like the unobstructed interior.  I made the knee brace too short, actually they were ok height, but I didn't put a front floor in and there was too much rocker to stand comfortably (toes higher than your heels).  Gave your calves a real good streach.

Montana Boat Builders on the Yellowstone makes beautiful boats.  Great guys.  That's where I got the plans. 

http://www.montanaboatbuilders.com/

I did have a few do-overs while building. Here's a pic ov the bow after I split it open, and the repair.[attach=1][attach=2]
haba nice dey!

flatlander

I wondered if this was a stitch-and-glue Montana Boatbuilder's kit, but I didn't see any of the storage lockers on the sides. Don't the sides flex a lot without any bracing or the storage boxes?  Good luck with the refurb.  I built a woodie  15 years ago but got tired of the repairs...and wincing every time I hit something (which is a lot when I'm on the oars).  Still prefer the looks of a woodie though. 0--0

JB

Wont a kit, just plans.  Which I modified... 'caus it was my first, and I had it all figgered out by then.  Thus the redo.  The sides are stiffened by the gunnels.  All in all, it worked very well.  Rowed great and slid over rocks too.  Only problem was with the folks I met that TOLD me they could row! 
haba nice dey!

twinbridges

Yea those guys that can row!  Floating the Madison from Varney to Town one day and a guy said "you by yourself" I said sure but his buddy was doubled over with kidney stones so I through him a couple of percocets to keep him company and my new fishing buddy jumped in.  Talk about loyalty to your buddies.

When it was his time to row in the skinny water toward Ennis it was like being a part of a demolition derby.  He could in fact row but had no idea of how to steer!

Nevertheless caught a few fish so all was forgiven.