Smith River 11-5-09 Yes I fished again..

Started by rjs123, November 05, 2009, 19:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Sorry Al and Ben, but I got out once more today before I hit the road tomorrow morning.  Save some for me this weekend, Ill be back on Monday :)

I walked out my back door and onto the deck today at 1:30 and found myself just 20 yards from a small buck eating grass in the yard.  I had the camera in my hand and got it up to take a pic of him.  He went back to eating like I wasn't there.  As I walked off my deck he finally went into the woods.

I hit some very familiar water down in Bassett again today. I thought about going to the special regs but decided to wait on that till next week.

When I got on the water the wind was really strong.  I started with dry fly and midge dropper and I could hold the rod up at times and the fly was just floating in air 6 feet off the water.  I managed to catch a few though and stay out of the bushes for the most part.  I later switch to a nymph with a zebra midge dropper.  Ive always got a lot of fish on the midge but lately they are really taking it.

I caught 8 or 9 fish.  No big ones but all in all a fun few hours on the river.

I did hook what I think was a really nice fish.  I thought I was snagged at first till he pulled back. The hook pulled free after about 10 seconds though so I never saw the fish.  It was either a really nice one or I may have fouled hooked a 12-13 inch fish judging by the pull and the bend in my rod.  Oh, well... one of these days I hope to get a really nice fish out of the Smith. Actually I guess they're all nice, but a nice big one would be good once in a while.

I took some pics even though they were small.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

A few more of these and maybe I wouldnt have to mow.

Typical fish for me lately. Small but still fun to catch. By the way this pic shows something that someone was asking about here a while ago. The true color of the fish is what you see on the head and tail.  The center is reflecting light.  A polarizer on the lens would help this.

Not sure what happened to this bow. The tail section really is as short as it looks.

When you dont have big fish to take pics of you have to get creative.  Dont mean to copy your closeups Wooly, but I guess I am. I really like them :) The bead on the midge is not as big as it appears.

The only fish to take my nymph. All the rest hit the #20 midge.

I fished till it was almost too dark to see. Then I took this pic. 30 seconds at f16 ISO 400

Al

I know this will surprise some of you folks but I would not shoot that deer. Better to wait until next year or year after when he will be a 6 or maybe even a 8 point depending on food sources, genes and most importantly other folks letting him walk as well.

rjs123

Quote from: Al on November 05, 2009, 20:08:33 PM
I know this will surprise some of you folks but I would not shoot that deer. Better to wait until next year or year after when he will be a 6 or maybe even a 8 point depending on food sources, genes and most importantly other folks letting him walk as well.

If this deer doesn't figure out soon that people can harm him he probably wont be walking for long.  I could have almost walked right up to him.

dossphoto

Nice work...

Are you using flash on your macro shot, or is that the sun looking like a ring flash in the trouts eye?

Btw...leave one or two for me.  I am off till next Thursday, hopefully I can find some time to get down no the river.

D2

Woolly Bugger

pretty cool... gotta love all the detail in on a trout... all those fine dots... way cool imho
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Quote from: dossphoto on November 05, 2009, 20:42:25 PM
Nice work...

Are you using flash on your macro shot, or is that the sun looking like a ring flash in the trouts eye?

Btw...leave one or two for me.  I am off till next Thursday, hopefully I can find some time to get down no the river.

D2

It is the sun Darrin.  Good luck this weekend!

5xTippett

Good report, Robert!  Keep 'em coming! 8)  With a little luck I am going to head up Sat.  Albert, the little ones taste better! >:D

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: rjs123 on November 05, 2009, 21:39:19 PM
Nice work...

D2

You can see the sun, the trees and and the river, the whole horizon in the reflection...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: 5xTippett on November 05, 2009, 23:11:46 PM
Good report, Robert!  Keep 'em coming! 8)  With a little luck I am going to head up Sat.  Albert, the little ones taste better! >:D

I have shot more then my share of little ones. I still do on occasion but try to restrain myself because once I walk up to them they leave a bad taste in my mouth and ache in my stomach o-o o-o even though I know they will taste very good on the table.

dossphoto

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 06, 2009, 08:49:42 AM
Quote from: rjs123 on November 05, 2009, 21:39:19 PM
Nice work...

D2

You can see the sun, the trees and and the river, the whole horizon in the reflection...
That's what I thought I was seeing, but the double ring around the sun was messing with my mind. Which is easy to do.