News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 11-4-09

Started by rjs123, November 04, 2009, 19:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I fished today from about noon till almost dark. I hit 2 places in Bassett and finished the day in Koehler.

I started in the same place as I did yesterday and unlike yesterday the fish were again biting pretty good.  I think I got 7, only one was a rainbow the biggest being only about 10 inches.   Lots of strikes though which made it fun.  The water had just gone down when I started to fish. A #20 midge worked really well for me.

I then went to the spot I ended up at yesterday with Ben.  I only got one fish there, its the brown pictured below.  I also got 2 of my flies back today.  My tippet was hanging from the tree I lost it in and I was able to reach up and grab it. When I did both flies came down.

Headed for Koehler about 4:00. I should have stayed upriver though because when I got to Koehler around 4:15 the water was still pretty high and it didnt drop till almost dark.  I spent some time stripping a Woolly Bugger and did get one pretty good strike on it but didnt hook him and that was about it there.

And... I found WILSON!  ;hb  He floated up down in Koehler and I was able to retrieve him.  He's a bit bruised up and seems to have lost a lot weight.  I remember him being a lot bigger when he floated away from Tom Hanks.

Only decent fish of the day.

Most of the leaves are gone now.

Wilson!

Al

You have too much time on your hands Robert :) - We are going to nominate you for the role of Smith River Guru

rjs123

Quote from: Al on November 04, 2009, 20:21:04 PM
You have too much time on your hands Robert :) - We are going to nominate you for the role of Smith River Guru

Your right Al. A little to much time since work has been a bit slow lately.  But with all the time I do have its hard not to go fishing.  Ill be busy the next 4 weekends though.  Ft Branch NC this weekend, near Atlanta next weekend, Philly for a few days, Gettysburg the following weekend and then on to Cleveland Ohio for about a week. So.... fish, fish, fish while I can :)

flynhokies

beautiful brown there and you do get out on the water way more than i do so...you suck 

0--0
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

5xTippett

Keep it up, Robert.  Al and I are jealous! :D  I may be more jealous than Al, because he declares war on the deer this time of the year.  During the week I fish the river by reading your reports.

Woolly Bugger

good stuff! enjoy the 'regular' smith river updates...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!