Question for the brew masters...

Started by flatlander, October 26, 2009, 15:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

OK Woolly...that Scottish Wee Heavy you brought up to the Waug several weeks ago was pretty damn good.  Got me thinking I might give homebrewing a try in the basement.  My old roomate brewed some beer one time, so I have a vague memory of the process.  What am I going to need and where should I look to buy the stuff?

Shane

I use Williams

www.williamsbrewing.com

S

Trout Maharishi

You're all a bunch of drinkers with a fishing problem.....no wait a minute that didn't come out right ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

Quote from: Flatlander on October 26, 2009, 15:10:11 PM
OK Woolly...that Scottish Wee Heavy you brought up to the Waug several weeks ago was pretty damn good. 

Wow....I'm surprised you remembered..... ::)   :P

Woolly Bugger

This is the "kit" that I used...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12223

I made a 3 liter starter and did the stove top partial mash..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

after the mashing on the stove top I take it outside and do a close to full boil in my 6 gallon pot....

I topped off the wort with bottled water and then pitched the starter...
I fermented @ 65 degrees for 35 days and then transfered to a secondary for 95 days....then bottled and conditioned at 72 degrees for three weeks!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Quote from: Beetle on October 26, 2009, 16:19:17 PM
Quote from: Flatlander on October 26, 2009, 15:10:11 PM
OK Woolly...that Scottish Wee Heavy you brought up to the Waug several weeks ago was pretty damn good. 

Wow....I'm surprised you remembered..... ::)   :P

Ha ha...no beer for you >:D

Thanks guys...more questions later after I read up.

Rhody

I agree with WB, the Austin Homebrew kits do a great job. For the basic equipment, find a local homebrew supply store, I think most all of the plastic bucket kits are made by the same folks,so quality of stuff is very similar, but I would recommend getting a supply kit that includes a glass carboy(big glass holding bottle), its cheaper when you buy it in a kit the first time. If you buy at the local shop, you don't have to sweat breaking the glass and paying the shipping.

One thing I do that makes it easy for me is to use a propane fish cooker/burner and make everything outside on the deck. I makes a damn mess when I drink and make beer,-its a lot easier to clean up with a water hose, and I can cook on the smoker at the same time.

There are a hell of a lot of beer ingredient "kit" suppliers out there. I have used Austin Homebrew too, their kits are pretty spot on, but their shipping takes a while.One of the best batches I made came from a kit at Hops and Vines in Asheville-it was one of their cheap kits and I just doubled the hop amounts and it was great. Had one of the last of that batch on the Watauga last Weds.

Start with a cheap kit to get one under your belt, cause you think you screwed the pooch in making it, but you didn't. Just use common sense for sanitation and remember folks have been makin beer for a long time without a bunch of fancy shit. rdwhahb

rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

flatlander

Thanks for the reply.  Regarding the equipment...should I buy a basic kit, or am I better off assembling one myself by choosing better components like a larger volume SS mash pot/wort chiller/glass carboys,etc.?  In other words, do you just end up purchasing this stuff later on after you find the basic kit components lacking?

Trout Maharishi

Flat,
After what I have heard making moonshine may be more up your alley ;D ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 13, 2009, 22:53:22 PM
Flat,
After what I have heard making moonshine may be more up your alley ;D ;hb

TM,
I think I better stick to beer.  As one of the fellers in the boat with me that day said when we woke up the next day, "You know, there was a reason why we quit drinking that shit in college." ;D

Trout Maharishi

There are reasons I approach it very cautiously as well ;D
― Charles Bukowski