News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dutch Creek Report

Started by rewilso3, October 27, 2009, 13:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rewilso3

I made a trip up to Dutch Creek yesterday and had a fanastic trip.  After waking up on Saturday to extremely high waters and wind on the Watauga I found myself alone in the river throwing daggers of streamers into the wind with my 5 wt.  I managed to land a few smalls bows on an olive wooly bugger but I called it an early day in anticipation of dutch creek. 
     I arrived at dutch creek around 9:30 to find only one other person on the river.  I think the lure of the DH waters drove everyone to valle crucis.  I made the hike down the road until I stumbled upon a hole that looked promising.  After throwing multiple colors of streamers in various holes I switched over to nymphing.  The sun had just broke over the ridge and was now shining on the water and every now and them I got a glimpse of a flash from the belly of a trout.  I set up a three nymph dropper rig with a #22 black glass beat nymph, followed by a 18 bead head pheasant tail, and finally a #20 red DW30 midge nymph pattern.  The small wild bows hammered the DW30 all afternoon long.  Each hole produced atleast 3-4 bites and I managed to land 6 throughout the day.  Each fish was nothing less than gorgeou and proved to be acrobatic as the hook was set.  It was a great day to be alive and outdoors.
Show me a fly fisherman and I will show you someone who truly appreciates nature

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!